FORUMS: list search recent posts

Libec cable troubles

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Denis O'Keefe
Libec cable troubles
on Oct 14, 2008 at 12:24:54 am

A friend used my EX 3 with the Libec ZC-9EX zoom controller and unfortunately lost the plug adaptor the goes from the fujinon connector to the EX camera. In his defense it doesn't screw on ( even though it is a threaded connector) and he offered to pay immediately for a replacement.
Simple? Right?
Abel Cinetech, where I bought it checked with Libec USA and told me the company won't sell the cable; the only way to get it is to buy a whole new unit.
I then called Libec USA myself, told them it works great. "I own two, I've recommended it to many", I said, "there must be some misunderstanding" - they told me in so many words "tough s**t", no deal, buy a new one. Not much for customer service.
So, the question is has anyone found a supplier for the EX connector? I'll gladly pay to have the cable made rather than send these guys another cent.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Libec cable troubles
on Oct 14, 2008 at 12:44:53 am

I know what you are talking about with these connections, they do not lock together. Who did you talk to at Libec?

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Brian Young
on Oct 14, 2008 at 4:03:38 am

i believe this lack of locking is intentional in order to provide a sort of 'quick release' in case you forget to unhook when removing the camera from the tripod.

i have this zoom controller and use it with my HA fujinon 'full-size' lenses with the appropriate adapter - one that is also sans locking function.

but - they should sell you the connector...that's bad.

Brian Young
Miami Beach
http://www.flacaproductions.com

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Oct 14, 2008 at 8:57:10 pm

Don't you just need the missing adaptor? The cable looks, from the pictures I can find, to be hard wired to the unit, which may explain their answer. Is it.... or does it unplug from the unit?

I did find a 2.3 meter extension cable for $100:
http://www.expandore.com/product/add/Tripod/Libec/EX_Zoom_controller.htm

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Oct 14, 2008 at 9:58:16 pm

Hi David, the zoom controller is hard wired and terminates in a fujinon connector. It comes with a six inch pigtail that goes from fujinon to the EX camera lens remote. I'm missing that six inch connector. The extension you pointed out goes inline before the EX adaptor cable, it doesn't have the EX 1 connector. Thanks for the suggestion though.
I can only attribute it to greed, but Libec USA will only sell me an entire unit. After some serious arguing they did offer a substantial discount, which will still leave me paying $150 plus for six inches of wire and two plugs. Of course I'll have another useless zoom controller sitting on the shelf,but that's where I am right now.
I'm looking for alternatives, and any suggestions will be appreciated. I've worked with some great suppliers and manufacturers over the years, and see no point in continuing business with someone obviously trying to screw their customers.

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Oct 14, 2008 at 10:18:12 pm

[Denis O'Keefe] " It comes with a six inch pigtail that goes from fujinon to the EX camera lens remote. I'm missing that six inch connector."

Interesting, and perhaps the plot thickens? I wonder if, with the adaptor, one could use a Fujinon zoom control and perhaps they don't want people to have that option. You can pick up a used Fujinon control for a couple of hundred dollars, and they are far far superior to any of the aftermarket units I've tried, although I must say I've never used the Libec one. Looks very much like the Zoe unit made in Germany, which I purchased for a Z1. Compared to a 'real' control, it's just awful.

I'd love to test this and see if it would work, so if anyone in the New York area has this adaptor cable and an EX, and they'd like to try out my Fujinon zoom control.......

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Oct 14, 2008 at 11:14:50 pm

that may well be the issue, now that you mention it - I'll give it a try tomorrow with my friend's fujinon lens. It still doesn't give them reason to penalize the customers who bought the unit in the past.
I liked the little zoom controller, and found it worked so well I recommended it to a number of folks, and on this forum too. In this case the limitation of the equipment is the Libec people who refuse to stand behind it - hell, my Suburban fuel pump went the other day and GM, despite its troubles didn't insist I buy a whole new truck.

Return to posts index

John Huffman
on Dec 31, 2008 at 5:36:14 am

This adapter is now available to convert the standard 8 pin zoom controller for use with the Sony EX1 or EX3 cameras. Check them out at http://www.jonyjib.com/motion_control.html .

John Huffman
JonyJib
http://www.jonyjib.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]