FORUMS: list search recent posts

SCHC cards in EX series - the story so far

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
on Oct 11, 2008 at 9:00:18 am

Excellent article explaining all the details of the testing so far.
http://www.glasseye.com.au/articles/sdassxs/

Since the above it an "independent" article maybe the COW should contact them about doing is as a COW published article.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: SCHC cards in EX series - the story so far
on Oct 11, 2008 at 4:00:42 pm

Beautiful Craig,
One of the things mentioned in the article was that Sony released the firmware update online and then removed it. My question to those reading this or the one's who have been working so hard as beta testers with these cards is, has anyone successfully downloaded it, and were they successful as an end user updating their own camera? I would like to do this myself as I'm sure others would too.

I also love the pelican case.

Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 11, 2008 at 4:10:49 pm

If memory serves me, I believe the Sony site in South Korea had it online briefly. Several people downloaded and updated. It's a multistep process. The site pulled the software (probably when Sony realized the mistake as it wasn't supposed to be available to the public). I don't think you'll find the firmware online anymore.

I'm hearing that many people are reporting at least a 3 week turnaround (15 business days) for the update they are so backlogged. That's a HEAVY loss for a small business. At least you get the ability to use the inexpensive SDHC cards as a result.

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Oct 11, 2008 at 5:39:15 pm

Craig,

Thanks for the link! Great job, and also to Guy for his excellent research and outstanding presentation. I truly appreciate this type of fact based research that exists among the COW forums, and I believe this helps to reign in unfair pricing that can go on in any industry.

-Stephen

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Oct 12, 2008 at 3:03:57 am

http://www.provantage.com/kensington-k33407us~BKNSA03J.htm

Anywhere but B&H

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Oct 12, 2008 at 3:17:15 am

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-SanDisk-SanDisk-16GB-Extreme-III-SD-Card

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 14, 2008 at 9:13:55 pm

The Ultra II is cheaper and testers say it works just as well. It seems something about the EX prevents it from taking advantage of the full data rate the Extreme III is capable of.

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Oct 20, 2008 at 10:22:18 pm

Hi guys
I just got my ex1 back from the upgrade today, and tried my kinsgston reader and transcend 8gb class 6 sticks, and they work perfectly in all resolutions, but gives problems when i overcrank it, but i have not found the threashold exactly, seems to be between 40-50fps.

Transcend 8gb can be found on ebay for less than a set of oral-b replacement heads for my toothbrush... its absolutely amazing... except for the thing sticking out which does do my anal head a bit.

Cheers
Mark.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 20, 2008 at 10:57:57 pm

[Mark Palmos] "Transcend 8gb can be found on ebay for less than a set of oral-b replacement heads for my toothbrush"
Were you going to try recording to toothbrush heads?

[Mark Palmos] "except for the thing sticking out which does do my anal head a bit. "
I'm not going near this one.

Some people are saying that Kensington is got to see the value in making one 2mm shorter (and probably upping the price!).

[Mark Palmos] "problems when i overcrank it, but i have not found the threashold exactly, seems to be between 40-50fps. "
I've heard a range of about 40-52fps depending on the card.

They'll be SDHC 32GB cards by early December. You'll be able to do long shoots without lugging the laptop.

The discouraging thing is that here in the states I'm hearing people reporting a FOUR WEEK turnaround! Imagine a firmware upgrade that costs nearly 10% of your annual income!

Thanks for reporting this BTW.

Some tests people are doing:
Do a very long record to fill the card.
Do a record which forces the camera to span to another card.
Do many very short records with fast stop starts.
Do many records periodically using delete last clip to see if it holds up to fragmentation.

Return to posts index

mark palmos
on Oct 21, 2008 at 6:30:35 am

LOL LOL
thanks craig!

but i must say something about the service for doing the upgrade. It takes a lot for me to be impressed, and i was.

sony sent ups around with a large box with two cardboard frames inside it, each containing a single sheet of plastic stretched over the frame. The camera was plopped on the one sheet, the other clamped it down and the box closed - with the camera suspended in mid air by two sheets of plastic. I loved that - so much more environmentally friendly.

they picked it up on a monday, and delivered it back the next monday (albeit in a box which was less clever and frugal.

When i spoke to sony about the firmware upgrade they said, do you wnat us to also fix the battery drain when the camera is off? OMG YESSSS... I had forgotten about that one. And, she asked, does the paint come off the buttons at the back of the camera, scratch it with your nail and see. It didnt, but she said they will check it anyway.

Odd they charge in the usa since you get a hell of a lot better and cheaper customer service there than in the uk (ive lived in both countries for 8 years)

So i was impressed by their speed and care, and am even more impressed by the idea of chaning tiny SD cards instead of buying the insanely pricey sxs cards.

Mark.

Return to posts index

Dave Raizman
on Oct 22, 2008 at 1:16:08 am

I'm downloading the ex1 1.11 firmware right now. I'm very psyched about KxS. How do I go about upgrading my camera with the new firmware? If I do this myself will I invalidate my Sony warranty?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Raizman
Springboard Media
springboardhd.com
802-279-6596

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]