FORUMS: list search recent posts

Microphone mount

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Chapuis
Microphone mount
on Oct 10, 2008 at 3:35:29 am

Hi all,

I just got a Sennheiser 416 shotgun mic. I've discovered that is too skinny to be held in the microphone mount on my ex- 3. Have any of you come up with solutions for this? I don't want to use one of the shoes to mount the mic. Ideally I'd like to use the secondary mic mount with some sort of shock mount. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Marc Chapuis

Creative Director
Chapuis Creative
Grapevine, TX

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Microphone mount
on Oct 10, 2008 at 3:54:09 am

I use an older 415 and I use rubber mat and gaffers tape to build up the circumference. Yes this is stuff an old gaffer would have laying around his garage.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 10, 2008 at 4:16:00 am

Marc,

I have a couple of K-Tek mic isolators that I'm happy with. An isolator is a good idea because even though noise from a tape transport is a thing of the past with the EX series cameras there's still motor zoom noise and general noise from operating the camera that gets transmitted to the mic without having a good isolator. The K-Tek piece also gets the mic up nice and high for use with fuzzy wind screens.

You'll need these two pieces that utilize the stock mic location:

http://www.ktekbooms.com/products.php?id=47

http://www.ktekbooms.com/products.php?id=81

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 10, 2008 at 4:19:57 am

Don
This is way too High Tech for me....

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
on Oct 15, 2008 at 10:23:12 pm

Marc,

[Marc Chapuis] "I just got a Sennheiser 416 shotgun mic. I've discovered that is too skinny to be held in the microphone mount on my ex- 3. Have any of you come up with solutions for this? I don't want to use one of the shoes to mount the mic. Ideally I'd like to use the secondary mic mount with some sort of shock mount. Any suggestions?"

Necessity is the mother of invention. Some idiot lost the rubber isolator from my Sony mic mount. I found that 4 or 5 rubber garden hose washers work very well to replace it. They fit tightly around the mic and isolate it probably better than the original.

Ron Shook

Ron Shook
Shoulder-High Eye Productions
CreativeCOW Forum Host for Discreet edit*

Return to posts index

Marc Chapuis
on Oct 15, 2008 at 11:35:03 pm

Ron,

You know, I've done alot of research on this and there are alot of choices. I finally decided on a rycote mount that uses the existing mount. I didn't want to use the shoe since I would like to have it open for other devices. Its the rycote softie mount for about $119. I also ordered the windscreen with it as well as the pistol grip. With this setup I can use it on the camera, on a boom, or just handhold with the pistol grip. The softie mount acts as a shockmount. The reason I went with this over K-Tek and Sennheiser was cost. For $300 I get more versatility for a lower cost.

So I have these items on order at B&H. Unfortunately the pistol grip is on back order and BH is notorious for not shipping those items separately, so it may be awhile untill I can test it out.

DO me a favor and let me know what you decide. I may send it all back and get the K-Tec if this isn;t to my liking. I just hope the softie mount is enough of a shock absorber. I will probably end up getting the sennheiser zeppelin later on anyway since is so good-unfortunately they dont have a system that mounts to the EX-3. If they had I would have gotten that and then saved up for the blimp.

Best,

Marc Chapuis
Creative Director
Chapuis Creative

Return to posts index

Jeff Rhode
on Nov 3, 2009 at 10:51:53 am

I have a bracket available for the EX1 & EX3 that solves this problem and has an extra mounting point for a radio receiver. You can then mount any shotgun in a rubber band shock mount as well.
Check it out at http://www.thej-rod.com

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]