FORUMS: list search recent posts

File Corruption after footage has been dumped... Help Appreciated!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Y Wong
File Corruption after footage has been dumped... Help Appreciated!
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:59:03 pm

Hello

When testing an EX1 a month and a half ago I had shot a project, exported the footage and immediately edited the majority of it on my MacBookPro.

Later on had to move the project (including the .mov files) to my desktop and haven't touched the project until today. From my recollections there were no transfer problems whatsoever. I had but no choice but to remove the original project and data files off my laptop/SxS cards.

Now when trying to re-open the project in FCP, in the timeline every clip is nothing but a white (blank screen), and when trying to play the timeline FCP immediately halts with a 'General Error' message.

In Finder when I try to open the XDCAM .mov clips, QuickTime immediately gives me a message saying that the file will not play as it is not a movie file. The files will not play in VLC also.

Strangely enough, the hard disk itself should be fine as I've ran disk utility and everything checks out ok and the other XDCAM projects on the same hard drive are all working fine.

Any ideas guys??!?! Are there perhaps any Quicktime file recovery programs that would recognize the XDCAM EX codec and perhaps salvage these data files?

Thank you VERY much in advance.

Michael

Thank you very much Don for the help thus far.

http://www.still-motion.ca

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: File Corruption after footage has been dumped... Help Appreciated!
on Oct 8, 2008 at 10:29:16 pm

So I guess you didn't archive the original BPAV folders from the cards? And you have the same version of Final Cut on the next computer? And is the Quick Time version the same as the last computer?

Sounds like you need to update to FC P 6.0.2 for the EX codec.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 8, 2008 at 11:18:12 pm

[Michael Y Wong] "Are there perhaps any Quicktime file recovery programs that would recognize the XDCAM EX codec and perhaps salvage these data files? "

Michael,

After our phone conversation earlier today I kept thinking more and more that it might not be a file corruption issue but more like a hard drive directory issue or maybe even a bad pointer that tells your Mac what type of file it is. Can you try something for me? Highlight one of the files and do the "Get Info" Cmd- I command and see what kind of file your Mac thinks it is. Down at the bottom of the Get Info window you can choose different applications with which to open the file. Choose Quicktime Player and if it's not listed there you can navigate to the QT app and choose it.

If the Get Info window didn't show the corrupt video file as a QT file to begin with perhaps changing to QT might do the trick. If it works and the corrupt clip icon changes to the QT icon you should be able to now double-click the clip and have it open in QT Player. This is provided the Mac you're trying this out on has these programs with these minimum program versions:

QT Player Pro v.7.3.1
Final Cut Pro v. 6.0.2
Mac OS v.10.4.11

NOTE: for this to work in QT Player you must have already imported the native MP4 files and converted them to MOV format using Sony's Transfer Tool app.

If this fix turns into no joy try DiskWarrior to rebuild the directory on your problem drive before you resort to some sort of expensive file recovery program:

http://www.alsoft.com/

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 8, 2008 at 11:26:53 pm

What about repairing permissions?

BTW Don did you get my email today?

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 8, 2008 at 11:41:37 pm

[Michael Palmer] "BTW Don did you get my email today?"

I don't remember seeing one from you, Michael. Let me check my other machine that has backup email.

- Don

Update: Found your email, Michael.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]