COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason lelchuk
ex3 and proxy files
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:22:10 pm

I am setting up a workflow

Shooting with EX3 1080i 60 35mbit's VBR
Using Transfer 2.7.1 to bring files into FCP 6.0.4 running on OS X 10.5.5

Am I correct that the EX3 does not create proxy files, just full-res mp4? Or is it that the proxy files exist but will not import / be usable in FCP?

I am looking for a way to put proxy files on a network attached storage device after a shot so clients in our office can download them to their local machine and then use an application to view them. They will be using both Mac and PC, and I was wondering if the proxy files exist somewhere in the BPAV folder, and they could use another app like clip browser or PDZ-1 software to view them at their machines.

Anyone have suggestions? Alternatives I guess are firewire drives with the mp4 files - but if the proxy files already exist that would be much better.

We don't have the EX3 in house yet - otherwise I would test this on my own and figure it out, but we will hit the ground running when it arrives so I am trying to set up a good plan.

Thanks in Advance,

Jason Lelchuk

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: ex3 and proxy files
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:36:19 pm

Jason,

Download and install Sony's free Clip Browser software on all your machines. The app. is cross-platform and will take the EX native MP4 files and allow anyone to see and hear the clips without requiring any additional software. This would be perfect for your NAS system.

- Don

Return to posts index

jason lelchuk
on Oct 8, 2008 at 7:54:59 pm

Thanks Don.

I will install clip browser on all machines.

Our NAS is attached to a network that is not so fast. We are using it more as a data repository, and for a back up of footage. Media will not stream over it, so files to be used will need to be moved across the network, and then used locally. In that scenario, I'm thinking it may be better to move the full res mp4s to fire wire drives and give them out - for time sake.

Which leads me to my question - does the EX3 make proxy files, but they do not enter the FCP environment, but do exist somewhere (and may be accessible in a non-fcp environment)? Or does the EX3 not make proxy files - just full res mp4's?

Thanks!
Jason

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 8, 2008 at 9:28:44 pm

does the EX3 make proxy files?

Not that I'm aware of.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

jason lelchuk