FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shoulder Support

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Chapuis
Shoulder Support
on Oct 5, 2008 at 1:54:06 am

Hey XDCammers!

I just got my spankin new EX3 last week, so I'm very excited and love this thing!!

Today I did some handheld at sidewalk arts festival and boy does my arm hurt! I know this has been covered previously but what is a good shoulder support to take the weight of this camera off my right hand? I'm trying to operate the lens manually but Its a bit shaky trying to balance this camera. My left hand isn't really free to do much of anything. That cheek pad is...okay but all I find myself doing is trying to tilt my head to the right to pinch it down to my shoulder and then I'm not looking through the viewfinder very well. I want my left hand to be totally free to flip switches and focus,etc.

So what do you guys have, not what you wish you had or have seen. I want to hear from people who have solutions that they know work. I've been checking out the vortex media brace. Anyone own it? I'd love to hear from you. I like the simplicity of it as well as the price. I do wish that it had some kind of padding on it to help it stay in place and for comfort but I suppose I could rig something up myself.

I dislike the look of some of the other supports with their belt attachments and honkin' big pistol grips. I want something that I can run and gun with and will be easy to store as well as operate and set-up.

I'm sure some of you are thinking "Just start lifting weights and the problem will go away" ;)

Thanks in advance,

Marc Chapuis
Creative Director
Chapuis Creative
Dallas, TX

Return to posts index

Thomas Kist
Re: Shoulder Support
on Oct 5, 2008 at 8:20:43 am

Have a look at DvTec's ENGrig.
http://www.dvtec.tv/id29.html
works for me with the EX-3, even with the letus adapter on front.
and its a real small unit to carry if you don't use it.
if you need to shoot a 12 hour handheld day with a large camera its a musthave.
But do start to work on your back and shoulder muscles, on the long run its worthwhile.

Thomas Kist
Freelance D.o.P
Amsterdam,The Netherlands
PDW-510,EX-3&Letus,FCP 6

Return to posts index

Brian Young
on Oct 5, 2008 at 1:10:45 pm

Hi Marc,

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, (it's not my intention) I'd suggest getting a good tripod. Too many users of these smaller cameras pass on this one very important piece of equipment. Yes, some of the appeal of a smaller camera is its portability, but your pictures will be helped immensely and your wrist will get a break if you throw the thing on sticks every so often....

(think about it - when you see pictures of the ex1, ex3 and other small cameras, how often are they on a tripod - almost never - which i think is a mistake..but i could be wrong.)

Brian Young
Miami Beach
http://www.flacaproductions.com

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Oct 6, 2008 at 3:09:14 am

Hey There,

The new anon bauer unit may work for you. http://www.antonbauer.com/EX1_gold_mounts.htm

Nick

I wish I was good at one thing rather than average at many, but oh well.

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Oct 6, 2008 at 6:52:57 am

I have a Miller DS20 tripod, which I try to use for most of my recordings and if I have to go portable, I have a DVRig Pro HD. Both balance the camera with my Fujinon XS17x lens very nicely.

All the best with your new camera
David Issko

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]