FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting 1080 30p (NTSC) in a PAL country

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ofer Levy
Shooting 1080 30p (NTSC) in a PAL country
on Oct 3, 2008 at 3:20:36 pm

Hi guys,

Please can anyone let me know whether it makes sense to shoot 1080 30p (NTSC) in a PAL country, assuming that the footage will be sold internationally to TV channels? With my very limited knowledge I assume it is better to capture 30 frames and get rid of 5 in post for PAL countries.

Am I wrong in here?
Please let me know as I am going to start shooting a major project soon.

Thanks !

Ofer Levy

Sydeny

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Shooting 1080 30p (NTSC) in a PAL country
on Oct 3, 2008 at 4:14:25 pm

No way- getting 30p to be anything but 30p in post is a total nightmare- unless massive rendering and motion artifacting is your joy. Your best option is to shoot 50i or 25p because you'll have the native frame rate not too mention you'll have much less to worry about strobing from 50Hz lighting. That said, if you're limited to NTSC frame rates shoot 24p or 60i both are far simpler to convert to PAL than 30p.

I personally wish camera makers would put up a red warning any time a 30p mode is selected. It is in my opinion both the least flexible technically and least appealing aesthetically of all current frame rates and shooting formats. :)

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Ofer Levy
Re: Shooting 1080 30p (NTSC) in a PAL country
on Oct 4, 2008 at 1:15:41 am

Thanks Noah! I will shoot 25p as per your suggestion.

Cheers,

Ofer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]