FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacBook Pro or PC Laptop?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Holdsworth
MacBook Pro or PC Laptop?
on Sep 29, 2008 at 10:57:40 am

Hi,

We've just bought a couple of EX1s with 2x 8MB and 2x 16MB memory cards. What we're unsure about is, for when we're on shoots and need to dump the footage onto a laptop, whether to get a MacBook Pro or a PC with a card reader. The benefits of both as far as I can tell are:

MacBookPro:
- we edit on FCP, so to copy that footage onto an external drive and then to our edit suite is going to be much less hassle
- The card reader is built in, and doesn't need external power (the sony card reader needs external power, so if we're in the middle of nowhere that could be a hassle...)
- Can edit on location if needs be (although, we rarely need to).

PC:
- Even with the external reader price on top, it's much cheaper.

Is there anything we've missed? What would you advise doing? Is the extra price on the Macbook pro worth it, and how much of a hassle is getting the rushes from a PC onto our Mac edit Suite?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: MacBook Pro or PC Laptop?
on Sep 29, 2008 at 3:06:29 pm

Cost vs Convenience. Both are viable.

Keep in mind the MacBookPro can also have the XDCAM Transfer Tool on it so you can do your re-wraps to MOV before you get back to the "facility." for editing.

If you edit on the road, you're going to have to buy/learn a Windows based NLE if you're using a PC.

The "best" answer really depends on the workflow you want to undertake.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 30, 2008 at 1:24:30 am

[Steve Holdsworth] "PC:
- Even with the external reader price on top, it's much cheaper. "

If the external reader for the PC notebook is USB only then don't bother. The transfer times will be much slower than an Express slot or a firewire reader. Time is money and if you're offloading the SxS cards in the field you want to get the transfer over and done with ASAP so you can view the transferred clips, empty the card and get it back to the camera for more shooting.

With my Macbook Pro and an external FW G-RAID mini hard drive I can transfer a full 16 Gbyte SxS card in about 5 1/2 min. Then I use Sony's Clip Browser to check that all the clips have transferred properly, use the laptop to empty the card and I have it back in the camera for recording in less than 8 min.

- Don

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 30, 2008 at 4:57:15 pm

I think a MBP is a great deal for transfer and viewing from XDCAM EX. With the built-in Expresscard reader it's a total no-brainer. In fact I'll say that I've used that slot much more for EX1 viewing than for any other purpose. Which is kind of a shame it hasn't caught on more as an interface.

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Oct 2, 2008 at 2:22:35 am

Listen to Noah. He steered me to the MBP and I've never looked back. I just had my first continuous shoot last week and it was flawless. Offloading in the field is a dream. And I'm only using 2 8 gig cards. The MBP is by far one of the best tools I have ever owned. I can't go back to a PC laptop.

MIck Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Steve Holdsworth
on Oct 2, 2008 at 8:38:38 am

Well, we placed the order for the MCP yesterday, so thanks for the advice!

Will just have to get over that nagging feeling that this switch to EX1s has cost a lot more than originally anticipated...

Thanks all!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]