FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please help? Imported off P2 on ext HD & now can't view footage.

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ian Clampett
Please help? Imported off P2 on ext HD & now can't view footage.
on Sep 28, 2008 at 10:20:32 pm

Hi. I really need some help here & have tried to browse the forums, but alas, nothing works yet. I just borrowed a friend's EX1 & filmed an entire music video for somebody. Since I only have a macbook & no Final Cut, my other friend put the P2 cards in his MB Pro & dragged & dropped them onto my external HD that I took along. I brought the hard drive home & they are large Quicktime files now. However, when I click them, I get a completely black screen, but I can hear the audio. What do I need to view them. I tried plugging my hard drive into another friends computer & dragging a clip into his latest version of Final Cut, but still nothing.
Is this a CODEC thing or what? I don't where to turn or what to do.
ANy ideas???? Thanks Ian.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Please help? Imported off P2 on ext HD & now can't view footage.
on Sep 28, 2008 at 10:46:00 pm

[ian Clampett] "I only have a macbook & no Final Cut"
Which would mean you can't play EX .MOV files.

[ian Clampett] "P2 cards in his MB Pro & dragged & dropped them onto my external HD"
I assume you mean SxS cards.

[ian Clampett] "I brought the hard drive home & they are large Quicktime files now"
This doesn't make sense to me. If the folders from the card were dragged across as you say above you should have BPAV folders with MP4 and accompanying metadata files inside.

The only way you'd have Quicktime MOV files if the source files were re-wrapped to MOV with XDCAM Transfer or otherwise imported into Final Cut Pro with Log and Transfer tool.

[ian Clampett] "when I click them, I get a completely black screen"

You have confusing and conflicting info above. In order for us to help you need to provide accurate information.

Do you have BPAV folders?
Do you have MP4 files (no BPAV folders)?
Do you have MOV files?
You MUST ANSWER these questions for us to describe EXACTLY what you should do

The free Sony ClipBrowser2 can play the MP4 files contained in the BPAV folders or create BPAV folders if you have "orphaned" MP4 files.

VLC can also play the MP4 files.

Final Cut Pro can NOT play the MP4 files. If you don't have folders, you need ClipBrowser2 to create BPAV folders. Once you have BPAV folders you can use the free Sony XDCAM Transfer Tool 2.7 to re-wrap files as MOV. Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 and up will be able to play them.

[ian Clampett] "latest version of Final Cut, but still nothing. "
"Lastest" is not a version number.

If you have MOV files you'd need Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 or higher in order to play them because the EX codec is an update for Final Cut Pro.

Return to posts index

ian Clampett
on Sep 29, 2008 at 1:08:09 am

The files have the blue quicktime logo, then a number, followed by .mov
yes my friend did have XDcam transfer tool when he imported them onto my hard drive. Now they they are Quicktime files like this:
EX1_486_01.mov

Thanks. I hope this helps. I don't know much about this stuff.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 29, 2008 at 2:58:52 am

Yes, that's the key stuff I need to know.

He did give you a Quicktime MOV file with the EX codec. Unfortunately the ONLY way I know of to get that codec is with Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 and up.

See if MPEGStreamclip will play it.
http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html
It works for me but I have FCP on my systems so it may simply be using the codec.

This MIGHT be able to convert it to an H264 MOV which you could play
http://ffmpegX.com/index.html
I know it handles the MP4 but haven't tried it with MOV and it may not be a meaningful test on my system since I have the codec.

The person who gave you these files was wrong to give you the MOV unless he KNEW you had Final Cut Pro. The MP4 is a lot more flexible to deal with. That's why I recommend everyone back up the BPAV with MP4 even if they're Final Cut Pro users.

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Sep 29, 2008 at 7:45:42 am

Hi,

Just released this QuickTime Decode Codec that might do the trick for you.

Calibrated{Q} XD Decode v1.0

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/XDDecodeQ.html

Cheers,
Greg

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 29, 2008 at 2:47:32 pm

Looks interesting. Wish there were better product descriptions though.

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/XDDecodeQ.html

It's not clear that they're talking about MP4 or MOV although apparently MOV given the "Not for use when Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Studio, or Final Cut Studio 2 is installed."

I assume there's would be a conflict if it is installed and/or what happens if one later installs FCS?

Is it just a "viewer" or does the MOV become available to other apps for processing? Think of a compressionist with Episode but not FCS handed EX MOV files or maybe an After Effects motion designer.

Then there's the "distribution" strategy. This is great if you're receiving the MOV files. Worth the $80. What if you want to distribute your EX MOV to clients? I guess you add the $80 per license to the bill. There seems to be a separate one for Windows users (FINALLY A SOLUTION for Windows!) but you now have to figure out if your client has Mac, Windows, Both (which would then be $160).

It's great this exists but it does present some "distribution" issues with clients for us pros.

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Sep 29, 2008 at 3:25:45 pm

Hi Craig,

As the website states:

"Calibrated{Q} XD Decode is a multi-threaded XD QuickTime Codec(Decode Only) that enables you to view QuickTime XDCAM and HDV Movies in QuickTime Player and other 3rd party applications that support QuickTime."

So yes, it is a QuickTime Codec (Decode Only) that enables users to decode .MOV files that are encoded with the different Apple XDCAM/HDV formats. So QuickTime Player or any 3rd party application that supports QuickTime would be able to open and use the Apple XDCAM/HDV .MOV files. I added some new language to the website to make it clear this is for MOV files only not MP4 files.

And yes, it is not compatible with FCS installed due to the fact that Apple installs its own XDCAM/HDV codec with FCP.

Cheers,
Greg

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 29, 2008 at 3:55:22 pm

[Greg Booth] "QuickTime Player or any 3rd party application that supports QuickTime would be able to open and use the Apple XDCAM/HDV .MOV files."

Thanks for the clarification.
I do think it's important to be as explicit as possible in marketing material.

The site should mention examples of use such as:
Compressionists, Motion Graphic Artitsts, Audio people who are given such files but don't (or can't with Windows) have Final Cut Studio installed. Also the ability to hand such MOV files to clients who can now view or otherwise use them. This might be plainly obvious to some but I'll bet it's very opaque to others.

[Greg Booth] "And yes, it is not compatible with FCS installed due to the fact that Apple installs its own XDCAM/HDV codec with FCP. "

Which raises the concern as to what might happen if one adds FCS at a later date. One might uninstall it but of course one might well forget. Just a "gotcha' to think about. I haven't looked but an "uninstaller" would be a good idea to include.

It looks like this utility fills a badly needed void. I'm sure you can imagine how many times I've heard "I've these MOV files handed to me and I can't use them."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]