FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 "Pre-roll"?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Ice
EX1 "Pre-roll"?
on Sep 25, 2008 at 2:34:51 am

Hi everybody,

As a new owner of an EX1, I remember seeing something in my research about the camera's ability to buffer 10 seconds or so before you push record, thereby eliminating the "missed shot." The example I saw (unless I was totally dreaming or having hallucinations!) showed somebody filming lightning. He would wait for the lightning strike, then hit RECORD, and voila....the camera had buffered the 10 seconds before the strike, and hitting record transferred that to the SxS card.

Does anybody know how to do this, or the settings?

Or did I just dream this?

Thanks!

David Ice

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX1 "Pre-roll"?
on Sep 25, 2008 at 5:38:45 am

No such memory buffer on the EX series cameras. It's more likely available on the more pricey shoulder mount XDCAM HD models like the F355.

- Don

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Sep 26, 2008 at 9:11:16 am

The Panasonic HVX had that.

And any camera Nostradamus used did, too.

I heard about the EX1 possibly having it with a firmware update and I wish it comes sooner than later. But until then I'll have to rely on my cat-like reflexes. Unfortunately that "cat" sometimes naps at the wrong time.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Sep 26, 2008 at 6:53:33 pm

Shame there isn't a way of continuous cyclic recording to the cards A-B-A-B etc.

Alan

Return to posts index

David Ice
on Sep 27, 2008 at 12:18:33 am

Thanks guys for the feedback. I would swear I saw a demo video showing exactly this same thing...filming lightning strikes "after the fact" but perhaps it was too much Metamucil that morning.....to quote David Letterman!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 29, 2008 at 12:25:27 am

Was that a demo by storm chaser Alistar Chapman?

Maybe it was something like 64 frame accumulation recording time lapse at 1 frame a second (or every 2 seconds) or some variation of that? In other words each frame "prints" the full second of activity in the accumulated frame.

That's not the same a pre-record of course. If you like at the clip metadata there's actually info on a cache record mode which, apparently, has never been implemented. There was talk of this by Sony at one point but obviously that's not happened (yet).

Return to posts index

Brent Critchfield
on Sep 29, 2008 at 10:05:16 pm

DVRack will do that. It drops you down to HDV quality and you're tied to a laptop, but it would give you the capability you're looking for.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]