FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Store-like device for SxS cards

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark S Copley
P2 Store-like device for SxS cards
on Sep 23, 2008 at 2:07:06 pm

I was at NAB this year and at Sony's booth there was a device called The Companion which was like a P2 Store in that you insert the SxS cards and they copy to a harddrive. It was under glass and a prototype but it was portable and battery powered. Has anyone heard anything about this device lately?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: P2 Store-like device for SxS cards
on Sep 24, 2008 at 12:28:51 am

I have a much better alternative- get a MacBook Pro with the express card slot. Bonus editing system included. :)

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 24, 2008 at 5:00:55 pm

I recently shot a press event that had about 4 hours of consecutive speeches (!!!). Sitting there in a row with other closely placed cameras, I had to bend down to my carefully placed MacBookPro to offload cards. Between the fear of someone crunching my MBP and the havoc bending down and kneeling had on my back and knees, I can see a real need for a P2 Store like device.

I see all sorts of potential drawbacks with such a device such as not having the security to KNOW the clips were copied without issue and the need to power such a device with a battery . . . but sometimes it's a tradeoff worth considering if it were to be made both reliable, affordable, small. Maybe some day they'll be a 128GB iPhone with Express slot. Now that would be a fantasy.

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Sep 26, 2008 at 9:17:36 am

[Craig Seeman] "I see all sorts of potential drawbacks with such a device such as not having the security to KNOW the clips were copied without issue and the need to power such a device with a battery . . ."

I worked with a P2 Store and that was exactly the problem.

So, even with 4 hours of recording time I'd rather invest in the needed 16-gig cards and make sure the event is properly captured, instead of worrying about whether I transferred a card or not.

With so much to think about when shooting, adding to the workload will make a difficult job even tougher. Unless, of course, you have a very diligent assistant.

And in my case, being on boats in salt water, I'd rather not take a laptop. Even a hardened one. The P2 Store device could work if it were weatherproofed. But there's still the concern about files not being transferred.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]