FORUMS: list search recent posts

XD Cam Footage Not Right?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Howden
XD Cam Footage Not Right?
on Sep 23, 2008 at 12:28:25 pm

Hi,

I'm shooting with an XD Cam 700 tomorrow. I'm on a Powerbook G4 1.67 Ghz with 1.5 GB Ram, running 10.4.11 with Final Cut 6.0.4 and Quicktime 7.5.5.

I've downloaded and installed the latest XDCam Transfer 2.7.1. XDCam Transfer seems to be reading the files ok but when I try to view the file with quicktime or in final cut it has a lot of noise, plays back all jittery and basically looks like the the camera has had very very very dirty heads. Although I know this isn't the case. I've been looking around on the forums here and can't seem to find any answers.

Can some please give me a heads up on whats going on?

Thanks, Adam H.

1 X Dual 2GHZ G5
2.5 GIG RAM
1 X Decklink Pro
1 X UL3D SCSI CARD
4 X SEAGATE 10K 136 GIG SCSI Drives Software RAID
Final Cut Studio, AE 6.5, Adobe Creative Suite etc

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: XD Cam Footage Not Right?
on Sep 23, 2008 at 1:43:00 pm

It sounds like you are using the laptop system drive and that isn't going to work to well. Most laptop drives in G4's are only 5400 rpm units and they can't run Final Cut and play back video at the same time. I believe you are going to need a second external firewire drive running at 7200 rpm's to play back the material with the G4 laptop.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Adam Howden
on Sep 23, 2008 at 8:55:26 pm

Thanks Michael,

That was it. I didn't think the data rate was that high I thought it was more like HDV, but I guess it's not. Thanks mate, nice to wake up in the morning and have an answer :-) You rock!

Adam H :-)

1 X Dual 2GHZ G5
2.5 GIG RAM
1 X Decklink Pro
1 X UL3D SCSI CARD
4 X SEAGATE 10K 136 GIG SCSI Drives Software RAID
Final Cut Studio, AE 6.5, Adobe Creative Suite etc

Return to posts index

Yves Chauvel
on Sep 24, 2008 at 8:35:14 pm

Hi Adam,

I am afraid you cant playback XDCAM 422 on a G4 or G5 machine without any stuttering.
I shoot XDCAM HD 1080P 25@35 Mb in PAL land and can't obtain smooth playback on a G5.
Only Intel Macs, MacPros and MacBooks play XDCAM HD or even XDCAM 422 fine, as decoding XDCAM HD is a procesor intensive task.

I have no idea about the noisy footage.
Let me know how it plays back on an Intel Mac.

Yves Chauvel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]