FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1- Monitoring Solution with FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michael Jones
EX1- Monitoring Solution with FCP
on Sep 21, 2008 at 9:42:55 pm

Looking at buying an EX1 or EX3. When working with Firewire Cameras/Decks (SD solution) Final Cut Pro can send that device external playback for monitoring. Does (can) the EX1's SDI send a playback monitor feed from FCP (USB/FIREWIRE) during the edit session? Or, do I have to have a separate HD external monitor solution?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: EX1- Monitoring Solution with FCP
on Sep 22, 2008 at 1:57:48 am

I think you'll be a lot happier with a more flexible HD monitoring solution- as in budget with Blackmagic cards or in full blown AJA Kona 3 sorta stuff.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hd/

http://aja.com/html/products_macintosh_kona_3.html

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

michael Jones
on Sep 22, 2008 at 2:10:29 am

I'm taking baby steps here and would like to explore using my 24" Intel iMac for a modest home based HD editor. Considering that I would have a G-raid (FW) type HDD, the only other hardware would be the HD Monitor. BTW, this iMac does have the Mini DVI out on the back... maybe I could monitor off that DVI port?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 22, 2008 at 2:18:09 am

Sure you could do a desktop cinema preview out of FCP but the colors are not going to be YUV accurate- just an RGB proxy. Good for editing, not so much for color correction.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 22, 2008 at 2:22:50 am

What about Matrox MXO to Apple Cinema Display as an affordable color accurate set up. Matrox seems to imply that would work.

Return to posts index

michael Jones
on Sep 22, 2008 at 2:32:04 am

Thanks for the heads up Craig... I just found some info about that MXO being used with an iMac. I'm beginning to understand this 1:1 pixel mapping business. I'll just need the Mini DVI to DVI converter and One USB port to control the Matrox MXO. Any preference on DVI monitors? I've heard a lot of talk about a Dell 24".

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 22, 2008 at 4:28:07 am

[michael Jones] "I've heard a lot of talk about a Dell 24"."

The Dell 24 is good. That or the Apple 23. Either way you're going to get a broadcast signal from the MXO that is very close to using an expensive broadcast monitor for colour accuracy. I've seen the MXO/Apple display combo and and a Sony PVM monitor side by side and it's tough to see much of a difference.

- Don

Return to posts index

James Goodman
on Sep 26, 2008 at 4:57:28 am

I have a MacPro quad with a FX5600 graphics card and the Matrox MXO
I have a Apple 24" Cinema connected to MXO
The MXO also relies on correctly colour calibrating your MXO display

I also have Adobe Premiere CS3 and the latest Final Cut Pro

Output on the MXO does not work well in CS3 and you have to disable the editing monitor window but it still does not play real time

Output on the MXO using FCP works but video is not playing well - jittery via MXO even though ok in program monitor window.
Good enough for colour correction

Return to posts index

Bob O'Brien
on Oct 1, 2008 at 9:56:59 am

James,

For what it's worth, DVCPRO HD footage (on an eSATA drive) plays out great from my MacBook Pro thru the MXO to an Apple 23" display. I have not tried it with CS3.

Perhaps the MXO doesn't like your graphics card?

Bob

*DualG5, 2gHz, w/5.1.4 firmware
*2.5 Mb RAM, 160 Mb SATA HD
*UL4D w/1.4.0f1 flash and 3.0.0 driver *HMV800 DualMax RAID0 Revision 511
*AJA IO w/20-21 firmware & v1.1r1 driver
*OSX10.3.2, QT 6.5, FCP 4.1.1, Livetype 1.1.1, Soundtrack 1.1, DVD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]