FORUMS: list search recent posts

horizontal vibrating waves in image / EX-1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen May
horizontal vibrating waves in image / EX-1
on Sep 20, 2008 at 1:15:08 am

I've read a couple of posts where something kind of like this has been mentioned, but to make sure I'd like to get COW's take on the following issue:

From time to time, I will be shooting on the EX-1 and I will see multiple wiggling horizontal 'waves' from top to bottom of my image. The first time this happened, I was hoping that it wasn't recording to SxS media like that - because it seemed like some type of interference. However, what you see is what you get, and it recorded the issue making all my media unusable.

I spoke to two people at sony and one has replied that it's an RF thing, and went on about the EX1 casing being plastic, etc. So Blackberries, cellphones, two-way radios, etc. I'm not sure this is actually possible when I think back to the environment that I was in when it happened. I tried turning the EX1 off and back on, but it was consistently there for the rest of the period of time I tried getting b-roll.

I have a inexpensive (plastic casing) Sony D8 Camcorder that's never done that, and I think my DSR-370 DVCAM is hard plastic, and it has never done it. The difference between these cameras for one is CCD versus CMOS sensors. Is that part of the issue?

Not to sound negative, I recently shot a very important job using the EX1 capturing presentations by a Governor, Senator, and Secretary of Treasury,and fortunately this issue did not present itself for the entire day of recording! I was getting a line-feed for audio, and Sony (person) stated that 'grounding' the camera by plugging something into one of the outputs (shielded cable) would stop the waves. So perhaps the XLR which is shielded (pin 1) may have grounded the EX1, but this all sounds a little out there. So, now it's COW's turn; what do you know, what do you think is going on, and has anyone else out there witnessed this issue.

Thank you for any help. -s

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: horizontal vibrating waves in image / EX-1
on Sep 20, 2008 at 6:10:08 am

Stephen,

Did your footage look sort of like this but not as bad?

http://www.solpictures.com/xdcam/

- Don

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 20, 2008 at 3:05:09 pm

Where you powering the EX-1 with the batteries?
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Sep 20, 2008 at 5:39:38 pm

Don, noting comes up except the "Q" for Quicktime on that link.
Rafael, I was on battery.

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 20, 2008 at 7:39:55 pm

[Stephen May] "Don, noting comes up except the "Q" for Quicktime on that link."

That's because you need to have the XDCAM EX codec residing on the computer you're using to watch the clip with. Or you didn't wait long enough for the entire clip to download because it's quite large at around 47 Mbytes.

I've taken the liberty of down-converting the clip to H.264 and reduced the frame size from 1920x1080 to 600x338. If you have an email address I can send it to you, but I have to leave soon for a shoot. I can always send it to you tomorrow.

In the meantime, try shooting something with your camera and with OIS turned off. See if that makes your issue go away.

- Don

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Sep 20, 2008 at 8:44:05 pm

Don,

I've replied to REELTIME Video Cantact link. BC looks beautiful. I hope your shoot is excellent. Have fun.

-Stephen

Stephen May
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 20, 2008 at 8:56:48 pm

Stephen,

I've just sent the H.264 version to your home email.

- Don

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Sep 21, 2008 at 3:31:49 am

so I'd say that my waves are smaller and faster than that of the example you e-mailed to me. Thanks for taking the time to do that; reducing the size etc.

What do you think is going on?

Stephen May
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 21, 2008 at 4:55:45 am

I saw the clip at last.
Weird. I had my self a very strange effect too with the EX-1. But in my case was like the zoom forth and back with similar speed that the distortion in this clip.
I think is ridiculous to talk about RF as a cause.
When you power your camera to AC/DC or you connect it to an sound mixer you can have every kind of interferences in your audio. You need something else to affect the picture, and to get something as we see in the clip you need something really perverse.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 22, 2008 at 4:42:49 am

Stephen,

I think what you're seeing then is very similar to the look of fluorescent lighting pulsation. My EX does the same thing sometimes when I first turn the camera on but the problem goes away after about 10 seconds. I've seen this in all kinds of lighting situations and even in straight sunlight. For me it's not an issue because it's not all the time and it always goes away. I wish I could be more helpful.

- Don

Return to posts index

Dan Gunn
on Sep 21, 2008 at 7:47:31 pm

We had this problem when we keyed our walkie talkies (Motorola). By accident, we noticed that it only happened when the lens stabilization was on.

JoJo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]