FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sticks/Head?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Fleckenstein
Sticks/Head?
on Sep 19, 2008 at 1:57:30 pm

Our new EX-1 showed up yesterday, and we're starting our familiarization period before throwing it into the rotation. It is a very complicated piece of gear, to be certain! I have one question for you folks that have put this thing in the field for a while already...at least, one for now.

Do any of you have a particular tripod/head configuration that you just love with your EX-1? If so, is there a particular reason why it works so well?

I'm about to research a new setup for my boss and, in addition to doing the usual diligent research of reviews and Googling, I like to get firsthand feedback on this kind of stuff as well. That's especially true of field gear, because that's where all the little unknowns always pop up.

Thanks a bunch, and I hope I can get up to speed enough to contribute to the discussions here soon.

Cf

Return to posts index

Stephen May
Re: Sticks/Head?
on Sep 20, 2008 at 4:10:32 am

Clint,

When I started using the EX-1 I was in new but welcomed territory with the small size and lighter weight. I'm older, and I'm used to the bigger cams. My Vinten has the larger plate with two screws for broadcast type camera plates. The EX-1 is kinda like a large digital SLR in that it only take a single screw from the tripod plate, and has the spring-loaded "stay" to keep it from pivoting, instead of two screws.

So I ended up going with a much lighter tripod. I use a Libec tripod and they are fine for the light weight of the EX-1. I think he only point i'd make is that there's not sense in buying a head that's designed for a heavier camera than you're using. You pay more for that, and you don't need that much resistance.

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: Sticks/Head?
on Sep 20, 2008 at 3:52:34 pm

We use the Miller Solo with carbon legs with an EX3.
It is just right and has enough beefiness to support with our Q-vision topmount Teleprompter and Marshall monitor.
And it is very light and durable. We have had it for 4 years now first with a Pana 100.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]