FORUMS: list search recent posts

lost file during transfer, help!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marta pruska
lost file during transfer, help!
on Sep 19, 2008 at 5:36:40 am

Hi there
I shot some footage with EX1 and after shooting transfered all files with xdcam transfer onto my computer. After transfering files I ereased
contents of the SxS cards through computer (using finder, and draging file foldersto trash) Emptied the trash.....
Few moments later I wanted to go trhough the rushes....and noticed that there is one file missing!!!!
It is crucial file for what I shot!
I'm very worried, and don't know what options do I have?
Is it possible to get that file somehow?
How?

I must say the camera wasn't mine. I gave it back (and the cards as well) before I noticed anything was wrong.

I have no idea why it happened like that.
I guess I did everything right.
Just a bad bad luck?
If anyone has a clue if there is a slightest chance to recover lost file please help.
regards
marta

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: lost file during transfer, help!
on Sep 19, 2008 at 1:35:25 pm

Sure if you have the cards you could try to run a memory recovery program. If you don't have the cards though, not much to do.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 19, 2008 at 3:58:25 pm

[marta pruska] "I have no idea why it happened like that.
I guess I did everything right. "

Apparently not. You'll have to examine your workflow.
My recommendation:
Use Clip Browser 2 to copy BPAV folders to hard drive with its CRC checking enabled.
Copy those to Optical medium (DL-DVD but it can be Blu-ray too).
use XDCAM Transfer to re-wrap files on hard drive to mov. In XDCAM Transfer I make sure ALL FOLDERS are added and selected before using "Import All" That ensures all files and .smi (for spanned clips) are selected.

No matter how long and cumbersome you think the above is, loosing a master is more cumbersome (as you're finding out).

Why files go missing?
Corrupted file during copy (Use CRC checking)
pulling something before copy is completed
Missing part of a spanned clip by not selecting the .smi file.
Selecting clips individually for and not selecting or accidently de selecting one.
Forgetting to copy the last card in a very long shoot especially if that card contains a clip spanned from the previous card.

Return to posts index

marta pruska
on Sep 22, 2008 at 12:17:37 pm

It was my first time with EX cameras, using cards. I wasn't aware I shoud direct backup of BPAV folders.
Now I know. Only it'skind of painful knowledge.
WHat happened is that lost file was the one recorded on the moment of slot switching - so it's acutally divided into two cards -(is it what .smi file stands for?) and maybe that was the reson of loosing it.
ANyway, I got back the cards, they are well in hands of some special file rescuer, who I hope will do his job right. ANd I hope this story will have a happy end.
I will see him tonight. He said he got the files back, but he can't play them!
Can anyone give us a tip?!
What to do?
We are so close to get our rushes back!
The Rescuer :) has them saved on his external disc.
I should give the cards back, and they are going to be overwritten tomorrow (I hate this)
ANyway. If someone has something to say I will be happy to get some advice
regards

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 22, 2008 at 4:25:48 pm

Marta, what computer platform are you using? Mac or Windows?

- Don

Return to posts index

marta pruska
on Sep 22, 2008 at 6:14:47 pm

I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.11
THe Rescuer uses PC.
m

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 22, 2008 at 7:53:19 pm

Okay. Get your file rescuer to format an external hard drive in FAT32 Binary. This is the formatting that can be read by both Windows and Mac computers. There is a FAT32 file size limit of 4 Gbytes, which is okay and it's also the formatting of the actual cards anyway. Ask the rescuer to copy the unaltered BPAV folders from the cards to the hard drive. Each BPAV folder must be put inside another folder and it can be named whatever is appropriate. The important thing is that all the actual BPAV folders should not be altered in any way, including the file name "BPAV".

When you get the hard drive connect it to your Mac and start the Sony Transfer Tool. Within this program navigate to each BPAV folder on the external drive until they are all present and accounted for in the left side of the Transfer Tool window. Highlight all of them and every clip from all the cards will eventually appear in the main Transfer Tool window, including the clip that spans 2 of the cards (or in this case 2 BPAV folders). Down in the bottom window the Transfer app will know that the incomplete clip is now whole again and will export and convert it to the MOV format for editing in Final Cut Pro. You can now choose to transfer just that clip or if you highlight all the clips the Transfer App will transfer all of them by simply clicking on the Import button.

- Don

Return to posts index

marta pruska
on Sep 22, 2008 at 9:21:44 pm

Don
thank you so much for sharing your knowledge here.

I got your post in a really last minutes of access to the cards, before giving them back to someone else for tomorrows' shooting.
I will write how it all went.

Hold your thumbs!
marta

Return to posts index

marta pruska
on Sep 23, 2008 at 7:35:08 am

I read again your instructions DON this time with fresh morning mind and I have to say it's kind of difficult in my case to do so cause:

BPAV folders on cards were empty (I erased all folders with numbers of files, (all what's left in there are two files: mediapro.xml and CUEUP.xml), becasue I earesed all the folders when returning camera and cards after shooting thinking everything is fine. So I can't really do what you adviced. BUt maybe there is still an option

The Rescuer got all the files back, but as it always happens with rescuing erased files: they were all numbers without folder structure as they are structured on SxS while recording.
SO the thing is: I got all the data back, I got: slv files, mp4 files, smi files, ppn files, bim files BUT THEY ARE ALL UNSTRUCTRED. Meaning it's all unusefull and unplayable.

SO what now?

I still hope it can be solved somehow...

I will now try to explain how do the rescued files look on the external disc:
708_056 is the number of my lost file.
So I have one folder named DIR 15 (guess it was a name given by rescuer) with:

708_056_01.mp4
708_056_01.SMI
708_056_01.PPN
708_056_01.XML
708_056_01.BIM

ANd the other folder named DIR 16 with:

708_056_01M01.XML
708_056_01UO1.SMI
708_056_01UO1.XML

I have also same kind of files but with name 708_056_02 (02 at the end).

I hope there is someone out there who can dive into this subject. I know it's a tough one, but still hoping...for happy end.
regards
marta

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Clip Browser 2 and Orphaned .mp4 files.
on Sep 23, 2008 at 8:35:38 am

The latest version of Sony's Clip Browser app. apparently has the ability to create new BPAV folders for orphaned MP4 files. I've never had the need to test this ability and I don't even have the latest version of the program, so I can't try it out. I believe there are other forum leaders here who have tried this feature so you might have to wait until one of those people respond to your post. If you're only missing the clip that originally spanned 2 cards then the Clip Browser option might be the way to go. Other than this I'm out of ideas.

It's the MP4 files that are the actual video clips and the other files are there to support them with metadata, etc. The trick is finding which MP4 file is the one you want to restore. In the future don't delete anything off the cards until you've checked the integrity of all the transferred clips using the Clip Browser software. It's an easy thing to simply copy the BPAV folders to a hard drive then use the Clip Browser to make sure all clips transferred okay. Then it's the job of Sony's Transfer Tool to actually convert the MP4 files to MOV format for editing in Final Cut Pro.

I've changed the subject title of this post to reflect the help you need to create a new BPAV folder from an orphaned MP4 file.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Clip Browser 2 and Orphaned .mp4 files.
on Sep 23, 2008 at 10:53:56 am

I've tested ClipBrowser2 and it will create a new viable BPAV folder from an orphaned MP4. Of course the metadata will be different but you'll have your video back.

You need to follow an airtight workflow. Any shortcut may have a sharp knife so do NOT take them.

Use ClipBrowser2 to copy all BPAV from card to hard drive.
Back up all BPAV to optical disc (DL-DVD, Blu-ray, etc).
Split folders with ClipBrowser2 if needed (16GB cards going to 8GB DL-DVD for example).
ADD ALL BPAV folders (their parent folders) to XDCAM Transfer tool 2.7.
Select ALL folders.
Import ALLClips
All SMI will be joined.
If you try to do any of this by hand/eye you're bound to miss an SMI and the result will be that although you think you've imported everything you may miss part of a clip.
If you start importing clips or folders, one at a time, it's a mistake waiting to happen.

Return to posts index

marta pruska
on Sep 23, 2008 at 11:06:33 am

I would love to try it too
but after installing XDCAM EX Clip Browser
on my Mac all I can do is to read:

You cannot open the application XDCAM EX Clip Browser because it isnot supported on this system

Such a bad luck! I don't know why. It should be supported on OSX 10.4.11? right?

m

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 23, 2008 at 11:27:23 am

You're probably on a PPC Mac. Time to get an Intel Mac to have a secure work flow. The alternative is to get ShotPut Express but it does not contain all the features of ClipBrowser2. It does copy BPAV and does make sure all the data is intact. It's not a viewer for example though.

http://www.imagineproducts.com/ShotPut_EXpress.html

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 23, 2008 at 4:04:26 pm

Marta,

As my esteemed colleague Craig has eluded to, Sony's Clip Browser software is an "Intel only" program, whereas the Transfer Tool works on both PPC and Intel Macs. Normally most PPC Mac users can get away with using just the Transfer Tool to get their files from the SxS Pro cards into an editable format. In your case there is a clip missing that could be recovered using Clip Browser 2. So now you have to decide whether or not this clip is important enough to justify finding someone you know with an Intel Mac or you go out and buy your own. The Mac Mini's are relatively inexpensive and are Intel-based.

- Don

Return to posts index

marta pruska
on Sep 23, 2008 at 4:32:36 pm

Gentelmen
I have another option at home!!!! :)
Stationary PC computer of my husband!!!!
And fresh XDCAM EX Clip Browser is already on it.
I'm starting to transfer data to external drive from my MAC, and then....
we will see.

The lost file is very important to me. That's why I won't give up till the end.

As far as subject of intel based MAC is concerned- I was fine with my old Mac, but now I see that maybe I should move with techinque and change it. Although I don't want a new one. But getting Mini is a very very very good idea, Don.
Thanx
m

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 23, 2008 at 4:57:23 pm

Good luck, Marta. I really hope you can get that important clip back.

- Don

Return to posts index

marta pruska
on Sep 25, 2008 at 8:44:43 am

Hi again!

So after getting my hopes up this is what happenes
in the SONY CLIP BROWSER 2.0:

when I connect to External Drive with the rescued files I get this note:

"the folder contains some incomplete clips. Please copy all files in the (BPAV) folder under the selected fodler to SxS card and execute salvage operation on the recording equipment"

DO you think I should do this?
I guess I could do it in rental house.
BUt I stopped believing it will result with something...:(

When I try to import single mp4 file. I get the note: failed to import the clip

So it looks not good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]