FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD footage to SD (when?)

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mikko Kovasiipi
HD footage to SD (when?)
on Sep 18, 2008 at 6:10:08 am

Hi. We have this new XDCAM EX camera and we are using it all the time even if our material would finally go to DVcam. Now I was thinking, in this case what would you people recommend to? Do i use SD PAL Sequence at start or do I edit all in HD and at the very end scale it down to SD?

Thanks.

Mikko.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HD footage to SD (when?)
on Sep 18, 2008 at 11:06:54 am

My opinion is always edit in HD. That way you have an HD master ready to go when someone wants one or when you simply want a high quality source. If you edit in SD and do all your titles, fx, etc then you're stuck in SD and if for any reason you ever need something in HD you have to start from scratch and recreate your entire edit from the source footage. The XDCAM EX codec is compact and editable enough there's really no downside to completing in HD and downconverting only at the end.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Mikko Kovasiipi
on Sep 18, 2008 at 11:24:26 am

Thanks Noah for your opinion. I was just thinking the same thing that editing in HD would be the best for future purpose but I forgot to mention that my external monitor can only view SD (pal) and I have Sony DVCam deck with Firewire connection so if I'm using HD I can't view it anywhere but my computer monitor. That may not be a problem except that I just can't see it externally and the Interlacing footage is quite irritating with computer monitor.

Thanks again.

Mikko

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 18, 2008 at 1:50:08 pm

I'd say how you edit depends on your short and long term target.

I've edited HD in SD timelines. That's useful if you'd like to reframe shots or even "fake" camera movement. You can do pans and zooms (think "Ken Burns" on moving images!) for example.

For best quality your SD timeline should be Uncompressed or ProRes in which case firewire won't help you much there either.

The importance of good monitor is critical for color accuracy. It's my bane too. Good HD monitoring seems to cost many times more than the EX. I'm thinking of something like the MXO but I just don't trust the company and I'm hearing about issues with drivers and you HAVE to TRUST the company will update those FAST when it comes to Apple OS and QuickTime updates.

Return to posts index

Mikko Kovasiipi
on Sep 18, 2008 at 3:39:32 pm

Hi Craig and thank you for your opinion also.

You are right with that fake camera movements and it's also great using HD in SD timelines if you need to stabilize your footage. Sometimes my hands get a bit shaky when shooting without tripod. :)

A few years ago I tried to use Uncompressed codec and I noticed that it works really good with firewire connection and I have used it every time since that. I'm a bit confused about that 'cos people are saying that it doesn't work but it works for me. :/

Thanks.

Mikko.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 18, 2008 at 3:43:29 pm

Viewing only on the computer monitor is not that big a deal to trade off for an HD master. I routinely do 90% of an HD edit simply on my MacBook Pro and then final with an HD monitor. Also getting HD monitoring downconverted out to an SD monitor is really not that expensive. Black Magic has a bunch of products that enable this for not a lot of $:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hdlink/

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

I think it's a wise investment that can save you loads of time in the long run because high-definition is not going away. :)

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Sep 18, 2008 at 10:32:05 pm

I edit my EX footage in Media 100 in HD, using ProRez422 HQ codec. Compressor takes care (abeit slowly) of downconverts to DVD, while the AJA hardware takes care of downconverting to tape such as DVCAM & Digital Betacam via SDI.

Even upconverting SD footage to HD and ultimately coming back down to SD does not affect image quality. I use the AJA FS1 for upconverting.

I get great results.

Hope this helps.
David

Return to posts index

Mikko Kovasiipi
on Sep 19, 2008 at 4:29:22 pm

Thanks Noah and David for your tips. Perhaps for now on I'm going to edit all I can in HD. It's gonna take a bit more hard drive space and take a bit longer to render things but after all I can maintain the best quality for future purpose. Thanks for your links also, it's always nice to learn something new in this business. :)

-MK

btw, why can't I see all of my answers that I've written here?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]