FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 and Flash XDR

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Palmer
EX3 and Flash XDR
on Sep 17, 2008 at 8:47:56 pm

Just a quick note, I have been beta testing the new Convergent Design Flash XDR together with the Sony EX3 on a series I have been shooting and it is amazing. We have been recording at 100 Mbps from a line switcher then capturing as Pro Rez and the images are beautiful. More later.....

Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

David Issko
Re: EX3 and Flash XDR
on Sep 17, 2008 at 10:38:14 pm

Great news. I too have an EX3 and have put my $500.00 deposit on a nanoflash recorder. Can't wait.

David Issko

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 18, 2008 at 2:26:45 am

Hi Michael,
Have you had the chance to try the "Nano"?
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Sep 18, 2008 at 3:21:43 am

No the Nano flash is not yet available, however Mike Schell has made it clear that I will recieve the very first Nano when available. CD is currently debugging the quick time conversion and I hope I can test it before our shooting schedule is completed.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 18, 2008 at 9:01:58 am

[Michael Palmer] "I will recieve the very first "
Lucky you pal.
I'm thinking about to buy the Nano. I'll keep an eye on our post.
Thanks,
rafael

Return to posts index

Oliver Crocker
on Feb 12, 2009 at 10:10:09 am

Hi there,

I'm about to shoot a series in UK with the EX3 and the Flash XDR Convertor. But we're having problems, it's a fly-on-the-wall documentary series, mainly in an air ambulance helicopter. The camera operator will be running around, with the XDR strapped to her. But we have found so far that the Sxs Pro cards only last for a limited time. We really need to be doing continuous shooting, the camera operator will be in no position to know A. when the cards have got full inside the camera, and B. will not really be able to change them often.

Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks,

Oliver

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Feb 12, 2009 at 12:58:33 pm

I would load the Flash XDR with 4-32 gig Transsend cards and record at the lower 50 Mbps,
More later as I'm on an airplane and need to shut down this phone

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on May 9, 2009 at 4:42:47 am

About to buy the Nano for my EX-3 and was interested in any info on the 720-25p 60fps quality.Also time lapse is of interest.Any one had issues with the XDR concerning these formats and frame rates.
Cheers
MJ

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 9, 2009 at 3:52:22 pm

It doesn't have interval frame recording yet but it is on the list of features they are currently working on. Convergent Design was had multiple firmware updates for the Flash XDR and they will continue to add more features to both of these recorders until the list is completed.

I look at these recorders as another tool to ensure the quality of what I'm shooting. If you can raise the bit rate from the limits of your camera you will have better quality. Going from 35 Mbps to 50 Mbps you will also record 4:2:2 color spacing and this alone will ensure a higher image quality.

The EX Series cameras together with the Nano Flash recorder are going to make extremely high quality video. I should be getting my unit very soon.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on May 12, 2009 at 1:22:24 pm

Michael do you have any problems with shooting 60fps with the XDR.A lot of my work will be 720-25p 60fps and I was curious to know if the XDR handles the slo-mo okay.
Cheers
MJ

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 12, 2009 at 1:53:16 pm

I don't think the camera outputs 60 fps with a 24 timebase as this a a function of how the clip is flagged to indicate the timebase and I don't know if the XDR gets the same signal/flags. I will inquire with Convergent Design. The SDI output will most likely send out 60 fps and you may need to figure out how to best use it on your 24p timeline to slow it down. My XDR is out this week so I can't really test this situation.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 12, 2009 at 2:35:56 pm

Hi Mike,
It won't have overcranking, but you won't need it.
You will need to shoot 720p60 (it will have audio), then conform to 720p25 in CinemaTools.
No rendering. Just a mouse click.
I think that is the moment to shoot 160 Mbps.
rafael
PS: The curious thing is that the EX-1/3 could do almost all this thing without the Nano.
Just a matter of tweaking the processor.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 12, 2009 at 3:04:08 pm

"It won't have overcranking "

Rafael,

You are correct that it doesn't have this feature yet but I just spoke with Mike Schell and he is committed to providing over/under crank (interval frame recording) features.

"but you won't need it",
I would hope there would be a solution that doesn't add another render to the process in post.

Each camera manufacture has different metadata to work with and CD is working on a solution that will work with each manufacturer or they will create their own internal setting for both Flash XDR and the Nano Flash recorders.

I'm confident you will see this feature and possibly with the first shipment of Nano Flash recorders in June.

Michael

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 14, 2009 at 6:09:03 pm

[Michael Palmer] ""but you won't need it",
I would hope there would be a solution that doesn't add another render to the process in post. "

Hi Michael,
I've been thinking of the over-cranking like a kind of "Conform in camera". You shoot p60 (at higher data rate thanks God) and the clip get tagged as p25, p24 or whatever the time-base you had set.
But is not that easy. I've find out that the MPEG-2 are not "conformable". I tried in CinemaTools, and no possible to do it with HDV and EX-1.
If they can implement the overcranking, great. If not, will be necessary to trancode (ProRess, 8/10b Unc) and Conform in CinemaTools.
Transcoding will take some time, but conforming is just to click the mouse.
As long as, I guess, many people will transcode the whole footage before editing, this doesn't complicate the workflow much.
rafael

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 14, 2009 at 6:26:40 pm

Rafael,

The Under/Over crank feature on the Nano will create the timebase you choose and the file will not need any transcode or conforming, just shoot and edit.

We should compare notes when it ships.

Michael

Return to posts index

steve phillipps
on Jun 30, 2009 at 6:28:13 pm

"But is not that easy. I've find out that the MPEG-2 are not "conformable". I tried in CinemaTools, and no possible to do it with HDV and EX-1. "

It's not that it's MPEG2, just that it's long GOP. The Nanoflash will also record 160 and 220 mb/s I frame, and that should (I assume) conform in Cinema Tools.
Steve

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 30, 2009 at 6:39:46 pm

The new firmware update allows i-frame @ 100/140/160 and 220 bit rates.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 14, 2009 at 5:05:51 pm

Just a quick note, Mike Schell has worked out the algorithm for the over/under crank. He emailed this message to me today.
"It's really
quite simple. I am hoping we can finish by the end of this month."

I spoke with Mike earlier this week and I believe the XDR and Nano will need 720p 60 fps signals and then you will set the timebase feature on the recorder.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]