FORUMS: list search recent posts

How would you record a very long training course on EX3?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Zwicker
How would you record a very long training course on EX3?
on Sep 15, 2008 at 9:47:47 pm

I am bidding on a 2 day job which the trainer says goes on for up to 3 hours without a break! Total record time may be up to 12 hours.

I guess I could buy or rent the PHU-60k hard drive and record @25Mbps or @35Mbps-though I don't think it needs to be in HD.

The project is to be distributed on DVDs for those that cannot make it to the training.

Suggestions?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: How would you record a very long training course on EX3?
on Sep 15, 2008 at 9:56:57 pm

[Paul Zwicker] "I guess I could buy or rent the PHU-60k hard drive and record @25Mbps or @35Mbps-though I don't think it needs to be in HD. "

Don't rent it. Users are reporting a ton of issues with the drive crashing or working for awhile then prompting you to "restore" the media on the drive. Sometimes nothing happens to your footage and other times..........well, don't ask. Read some of the recent horror stories below.

Best workflow for you is to get a laptop with an Express 34 slot and an external USB or firewire powered hard drive. You can hot-swap the cards and offload the video files to the laptop's external hard drive by simply dragging the BPAV folders from each card into its own unique folder which you have previously set up before the shoot. You can shoot video this way until the cows come home and never miss beat. Or until you run out of hard drive space.

- Don

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Sep 15, 2008 at 10:18:20 pm

Thanks Don,

I was wondering if I had to hot swap or not.
My MacBook Pro can handle the cards.
Is it faster to use ShotPut Express or preset the file folders?

Forgive my learning curve-Not only am I not using videotape, I am learning Mac and Final Cut Pro at the same time. Old guy-new tricks.

Be well.

Paul

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 16, 2008 at 12:43:13 am

[Paul Zwicker] "s it faster to use ShotPut Express or preset the file folders?"

I've never used ShotPut so you'll be better equipped to address that decision. All I do is, once the card in slot A is full, yank it out, put it into the Laptop and drag the BPAV folder into the folder on the hard drive named "Card 1 Offload 1". I used a felt tipped pen to mark the actual SxS Pro card with the number 1. It takes about 5 1/2 min. to offload a full 16 Gig card. Then I use the Clip Browser to verify that all the clips are there (on the hard drive) and once satisfied I'll drag the BPAV folder from the actual card into the trash and then empty the trash. Eject the card from the desktop and now the card is ready to be put back into slot A of the EX.

Once card 2 is full the EX will jump back to Card 1, allowing you to pull card 2 out and put the BPAV folder into the hard drive folder "Card 2 Offload 1". And so on and so on.

So rent a couple of 16 Gig cards instead of that BHU-60. Depending on how much you have to man the camera during shooting will determine if you need to bring a card wrangler.

Some folks who post here use Sony's Clip Browser app. to handle the card transfer to hard drive because it's got error checking during the process. I haven't used that, either. Haven't lost a clip so far.

It's also really important that you don't alter the BPAV folder name in any way, nor anything inside. That's why each time you transfer a card over you have to have a unique folder name and only one BPAV folder in each unique folder, otherwise the first BPAV folder will be overwritten. You don't want that. I also do a Cmd-I (get info) on each BPAV folder on the hard drive and put a check mark in the lock button/tab so I can't erase or overwrite the folder by mistake.

- Don

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Sep 16, 2008 at 1:29:42 pm

We just did a similar job, and handled it similarly to Don's reply above. Things can get confusing with a bunch of cards flying around so we ended up using removable color stickers to keep things in order.
Each camera's card was numbered (1-5) and had its own color, then each card was sequentially marked 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc.
That way if we had 1H and no 2H we knew we were cooked.
We started out with Shotput but abandoned it after the first transfer; it seemed to complicate things. As Don said, it is pretty simple and fast to drag the BPAV file to the hard drive ( we used two drives for instant backup).
One time we tried using usb 2.0 drives, we won't do that again...way too slow.

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Sep 16, 2008 at 2:02:23 pm

Now that sounds like a long shoot, Dennis.
Thank you for the detailed information.
I figured ShotPut would be easy but Don's way seems much more streamlined.

Gotta love Creative Cow for information like this.
It wouldn't function if not for guys like you!

Thank you.

Paul

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Sep 16, 2008 at 2:26:29 pm

In our case it wasn't that the shoot was just over an hour, but we were using five cameras. We did six hours over two days so keeping track of everything could not get out of hand for a minute. One smart move I made was to have a dedicated data wrangler onboard.
All the aggravation in the field paid off a dozen times in the edit; ingesting the footage was a breeze. We synced with an old fashioned clap since we had a mix of EX-1 and EX 3 cameras.
Good luck on your shoot!

Return to posts index

Tim Ryan
on Oct 10, 2008 at 2:49:47 pm

What type of external drives do u suggest if not USB 2.0?

MacBook Pro
Mac OSX version 10.4.11
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB DDr SDRAM
FCP 6.0
G-Raid 2 Tb external hard drive

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Sep 17, 2008 at 2:45:42 am

You can also set the camera to record 1080i 60 SP (AKA HDV) use the firewire port to out the footage to a laptop and capture the footage live. Using sp mode will gain an extra 10 minutes per 8GB SXS card. You can simultaneously record to the SXS cards and send the footage to a computer via firewire. I

I wish I was good at one thing rather than average at many, but oh well.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 10, 2008 at 2:47:37 pm

Well I think you could talk with the trainer and work out a cut point at least once every 57 minutes (if using 16 gig SxS cards recording HQ mode) to be able to switch to the next card. This would mean you must either have enough cards to cover the total time of the training or have someone offload the media from a card and return it to you while you shoot. I couldn't imagine anyone producing a 3 hour training video from one camera without cuts. IMO This would be very unprofessional.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]