FORUMS: list search recent posts

ex to xd

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale West
ex to xd
on Sep 15, 2008 at 7:47:11 pm

A friend is coming to me with 4 cards shot on ex-1.
He wants the material moved to SD-XDCAM.
I have a 1500 but am borrowing an ex3 from someone.
Can I:

Transfer the files from SXS card using the camera
and maintain the clips etc?

If so would that be a 1 to 1 time or shorter because of file xfer.
As you can tell I am way new to this and it will be the first time
I've even held the cards let alone use them. I'm not an editor and
my skill set is almost zero.

If there is a link that we could go to and not take
up your valuable time( and I mean that genuinely) that would be cool.
Just dont want to look like a dolt when they arrive.
Thanks

Dale West Video
North Miami, FL
305-892-1201

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: ex to xd
on Sep 15, 2008 at 9:29:37 pm

First of all I need to know what computer platform you're going to be using for the transfer. If it's a Windows machine then you can't use Sony's transfer Tool app because that's for Mac. Windows machines have the Clip Browser Software only. If you have an Intel Mac then you can use Sony's Clip Browser software to transfer the files from the EX3/card setup. If you have a PPC Mac like a G5 or earlier you can't use the Clip Browser but you'll need to use the Sony Transfer Tool app. instead.

Need more info before I can recommend a workflow. Regardless, you won't look like dolt when the friends show up.

- Don

Return to posts index

Dale West
on Sep 16, 2008 at 1:07:32 pm

Don
Was hoping there was a machine to machine process. We would love to just move it from the camera to the PDW-1500 and still maintain clips etc.
Can that be done? Just trying to get the stuff in and out as it is for a new segment that is planned for later in the day. We figure they are bring about 4+ hours of material on the cards. If we have to ingest it we should be ready for that when they get here. We (my editor) are getting the suite tuned up for that. You know how it goes. Its never needed until its needed then "OH Boy".

Dale West Video
North Miami, FL
305-892-1201

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 16, 2008 at 4:28:40 pm

For a direct machine to machine transfer you would want to rent the EX 30 deck but I don't think it's come to market yet. Not sure about that, though. I've also never used the PDW 1500 so you'll have to wait from others to address that workflow.

To get the the raw data off an SxS Pro card I simply insert it into the Express 34 slot in my Macbook Pro and drag the BPAV folder to an external hard drive. It takes about 5 1/2 min. to transfer a full 16 Gig card. Once all the BPAV folders from all the cards are transferred and deposited into their unique folders I connect my external hard drive to my editing suite, start Sony's Transfer Tool app. and navigate to all the BPAV folders one at a time. Once the folders are visible in the Transfer Tool window I do a "Select All" and import everything to my destination hard drive array. This command will import the clips and convert the files into the MOV format for editing in Final Cut Pro. If you were using a Windows machine the process would convert to AVI instead using Sony's Clip Browser ( I think).

Since you haven't indicated what computer platform you're using I can only address the Mac workflow, since that is what I use. You can do the same thing with the EX3 hooked to your machine via USB but the transfer is much slower due to the reduced connection speed.

Hope this helps.

- Don

Return to posts index

jesse miller
on Sep 16, 2008 at 5:55:46 pm

Hey Dale.

machine to machine no problemo:
in the menu of your EX camera, set the SDI output to SD (standard definition).

conect the sdi out of your camera to sdi in on your 1500.

presto. real-time downconversion on playback.

of course, you do not benefit from the outstanding transfer speed of ex files to other ex devices. but this will get it done.

Jesse

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]