FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-1 settings help

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Maynard
EX-1 settings help
on Sep 15, 2008 at 3:46:23 pm

Hi All,
I am using an EX-1 shooting a high school football game from the top of the stands using HQ1080/60i.
I then imported clips with XD Transfer to an import folder. After that I imported to FCP 6.04 using Sequence Preset XDCAM EX 1080i60 VBR and Capture Preset HDV. I then sent to Compressor and used the DVD Best Quality 120 minutes setting for both the video and audio. The video looks great when looking at the clips but after I burned it to DVD it doesn't look that great there is a lot of screening and just not sharp even viewed on a HD TV. Are my settings wrong or is there something else I should be doing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Craig Maynard

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: EX-1 settings help
on Sep 15, 2008 at 4:03:27 pm

You are burning a SD DVD not HD and the footage has been compressed a lot.
Even seen on a HD TV it is still SD.

You can make a HD-DVD compatible Disc from a standard DVD-R, if you have a HDdvd player but 20 minutes is about all you can put on it. This looks very good.

Or you could make a Bluray disc if you have a Bluray burner and Toast with HD plugin, then you need a Bluray set top player. This also looks very good.

You can also make a better SD-DVD with better compression using Bitviceā„¢, but it will not look like HD because it is SD.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Craig Maynard
on Sep 15, 2008 at 4:21:39 pm

Thanks for the response!
Most if not all of the people that will be getting the DVDs of the games don't have Blu-ray. Would it be better to shoot at a lower res and use less compression? What would look the best considering the SD limitations? I don't mind not distributing in HD, but I need to get the quality a little better.
Craig Maynard

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Sep 15, 2008 at 4:04:39 pm

You are burning a SD DVD not HD and the footage has been compressed a lot.
Even seen on a HD TV it is still SD.

You can make a HD-DVD compatible Disc from a standard DVD-R, if you have a HDdvd player but 20 minutes is about all you can put on it. This looks very good.

Or you could make a Bluray disc if you have a Bluray burner and Toast with HD plugin, then you need a Bluray set top player. This also looks very good.

You can also make a better SD-DVD with better compression using Bitviceā„¢, but it will not look like HD because it is SD.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Sep 15, 2008 at 6:57:48 pm

Have you looked at it on an SD monitor? In my experience, even standard-def broadcast or cable TV looks lousy on an HD monitor. The best way to evaluate SD video is on a SD monitor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]