FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is the EXZ1 suitable for Auto Racing?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Jackson
Is the EXZ1 suitable for Auto Racing?
on Sep 13, 2008 at 4:43:32 pm

I was thinking of taking my EX1 to some auto races and was wondering if it was suitable?
The final results would be SD for broadcast. So would 1080-30P, or 1080-30i produce the better results?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Is the EXZ1 suitable for Auto Racing?
on Sep 13, 2008 at 5:24:33 pm

Hi Bob,

Welcome to Creative COW. It's been suggested that 1080i 60 and 720p 60 both have the same temporal resolution so either one of those should work provided you use your shutter speed accordingly. 720p 60 would be better if you want to export a still image, as there won't be any interlacing artifacts, or "combing" in the still. It really boils down to the kind of look you want. You could conceivably use 1080p 30 and as long as you pan with the race car it will remain in focus and the background will have lots of motion blur.

In order to see what look you're after you need to get you and your camera to the edge of a busy street and do some tests. For what it's worth, Sony put several EX1 cameras in some aerobatic planes and they chose 720p 60 mode. The results were quite nice.

- DOn

Return to posts index

Bob Jackson
on Sep 13, 2008 at 6:06:59 pm

Thanks Don
I am hoping that most of my footage will be closeup in the pit area. probably handheld.
Important detail shots will be on a tripod. So far i have only used the camera for mostly still type shots and very little motion. I have only been using the 1080p 30 mode.
Should i use a smaller shutter angle too? Shutter speed of 1/60th?
Bob

vidiot

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 13, 2008 at 6:33:03 pm

[Bob Jackson] "Should i use a smaller shutter angle too?"

You can stick with the default shutter angle, which is think is 180 degrees. Minimum shutter speed for smooth slow panning is 1/60th per second for 60i and 30p. For freezing faster action you can increase the shutter speed up to a point, then you start seeing a stroby effect referred to as the "Private Ryan" look. Higher shutter speeds also affect the amount of light hitting the sensors, just like any other DV camera.

- Don

Return to posts index

Bob Jackson
on Sep 13, 2008 at 6:59:50 pm

I expect that one aspect of reducing the shutter angle decreases the light, similar to stopping down the lens, but with additional effect of sharpening the shot.

vidiot

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 13, 2008 at 7:18:09 pm

[Bob Jackson] "I expect that one aspect of reducing the shutter angle decreases the light, similar to stopping down the lens, but with additional effect of sharpening the shot."

Exactly. The same rules apply between video cameras and still cameras. It's just that with video you're shooting 30 pictures a second. I recently shot a car show outside in sunny weather. My settings were HQ 1080p 30 1/60th shutter. I wish it was up on my web site for you to have a peak. I shot completely handheld over the course of 2 hours or so and was quite happy with the result. But what one is shooting definitely determines the shooting mode.

- Don

Return to posts index

Bob Jackson
on Sep 16, 2008 at 4:03:47 pm

Very disappointed with my 1080p-30 shots.
I went to a local freeway, shooting at a 30º angle from the road, cars approaching at around 70 mph.
1/125 a sec frames were blurry, 45ºshutter angle looked better, and got progressively better at 22º, and 11.5º.
1/60 of a second was similar.
The problem is that the cars move so much at 70 mph, what will they look like at 180 mph?
I will have to try 1080i-60 today.

vidiot

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 16, 2008 at 4:30:47 pm

[Bob Jackson] "I will have to try 1080i-60 today."

Don't forget to try 720P 60 as well, if you want to keep things in progressive format.

- Don

Return to posts index

Bob Jackson
on Sep 16, 2008 at 5:29:12 pm

thanks Don
In the back of my mind 720p-60 was overcranking........Don't want 1/2 speed.
I should have known better, but have not used that function.
Might be good for pit stop analysis.
Bob

vidiot

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 16, 2008 at 5:51:25 pm

[Bob Jackson] "n the back of my mind 720p-60 was overcranking........Don't want 1/2 speed. "

720p 60 isn't for overcranking. It's for regular speed @30fps but the advantage here is 60 complete progressive frames a second. For overcranking you use the 720p 30 setting, then enable S & Q mode and then change the frame rate up to 60 fps. When you play that back in a 30fps timeline it will be at half speed.

- Don

Return to posts index

Bob Jackson
on Sep 16, 2008 at 5:57:37 pm

I think i will try the 720p-60 first.
That should give me what i need.
Thanks again Don

vidiot

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 16, 2008 at 6:24:23 pm

You're welcome. You can tell right away if you're in 720p 30 mode with under/overcranking enabled because there will be a red circle and slash right over top of the audio meters in the viewfinder. 720p 60 mode allows audio to be recorded, so there's no such red circle.

Playing back under/overcranking clips in-camera will show the immediate results of that mode because the camera will play back everything @ 30fps. Just hit the "last clip" review button on the top of the hand grip, that way you don't have to turn the camera off and then on again to enter media mode.

- Don

Return to posts index

Oliver Heuft
on Sep 16, 2008 at 6:22:53 pm

Hi,
i have a problem which should be the same as here described. I tried to freeze fast tennis motion with the EX3. I set the shutter mode to speed and to 1/2000. But the camera doesn´t react in the way it should (darker). And the video result is horrible: blurry! The same result with all formats (interlaced, progressive, s+q motion). There must be a mistake with my settings. Every 1000-dollar-camera is able to freeze motion.

Can you help?

Kind regards. Oliver (Sorry for my german english ;))

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 17, 2008 at 6:05:32 pm

[Oliver Heuft] "Kind regards. Oliver (Sorry for my german english ;))"

Hi Oliver,

I'll bet you a million Euros that your English is a lot better than my German :)

To answer your question I suggest you follow the developing thread at the link below. I'm sure that you'll find something helpful to solve your issue.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/860504

- Don

Return to posts index

Bob Jackson
on Sep 20, 2008 at 3:58:29 am

Thanks for your advice Don.
Seems like we must be neighbors, I live just across Georgia Straight on Vancouver Island.
I have gone out several times and have used 1080i-60 and seem to get the results i like with shutter speeds 1/250 and above. Similar with 720-60.
I am using the standard 180º shutter.
Thanks again
Bob

vidiot

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 20, 2008 at 4:43:42 am

[Bob Jackson] "Seems like we must be neighbors, I live just across Georgia Straight on Vancouver Island."

I noticed that the other day when I checked your profile. The BC government said they'll be dropping the fuel surcharge soon on the ferry tickets so it won't be quite so pricey to commute. I had to go to the Sunshine Coast on a gig a couple of weeks ago and was quite surprised at the cost.

Good luck with your car racing coverage. Is Cobble Hill still open?

- Don

Return to posts index

Bob Jackson
on Sep 20, 2008 at 5:26:22 am

Thanks Don
I will have unrestricted access, so i should be able to get very close to the action. Done it lots before, so we shall see....
I don't think Cobble Hill has been operating for years.
Went to Thunder in the Valley in Port Alberni in August and tried camera there for first time.
Put it on youtube under my alias pitrow66.
Also has some of my 1990 racing footage. And some railway stuff from 2001.
I was surprised how complicated setting up this camera was. Perhaps too many quality settings.
Bob

vidiot

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 20, 2008 at 5:46:44 am

[Bob Jackson] "Put it on youtube under my alias pitrow66."

I'll check it out. Years ago I had an SCCA license and used to race a Camaro at Westwood in the GT1 class. Got really expensive so my partner and I got out before we lost our shirts. Peter Baljet used to race with us and now he's got a Chevy store in Nanaimo ( I think).

Anyway, getting way off topic here. The EX series cameras are certainly not a run and gun camera like the HDV 1/3rd inch HDV ones are, although that's how I've been using mine lately. There's much more setup involved but the results speak for themselves. I always shoot progressive because the picture always looks so much better on today's LCD and plasma TV's.

- Don

Return to posts index

Bob Jackson
on Oct 22, 2008 at 4:10:12 pm

The camera video at the track was awesome.
I was very surprised how great they were.
The audio was not so great when using a wireless mic setup.
I set the levels to -20 to -10 for the interview.
I did not monitor the audio thru headphone. Probably my big mistake......
There was a terrible 60 hz hum which really overrode the talking , will try and fix in post.
Unfortunatly everything was in a hurry.
The screenshots from the video were amazing using snap pro z.

vidiot

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 22, 2008 at 4:24:46 pm

[Bob Jackson] "I did not monitor the audio thru headphone. Probably my big mistake......"

Yep. Unless you've got a sound guy doing the audio with a separate system, always monitor your audio with headphones. Glad you were happy with your moving pictures. Even now the EX quality still surprises me, too.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]