FORUMS: list search recent posts

Redrock M2 35 adapter and Sony EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roelf-Jan Wentholt
Redrock M2 35 adapter and Sony EX3
on Sep 10, 2008 at 5:19:24 am

On my Sony EX3 I want to use 35 lenses. I bought the M2 made by Redrock. But I get very blurry edges. On the Redrock forum (that is only open to owners of the M2) many owners of EX1 or EX3 have the same problem. There seems to be no solution for this. Anybody here knows of this problem or a solution?

Return to posts index

Bill Bork
Re: Redrock M2 35 adapter and Sony EX3
on Sep 13, 2008 at 7:34:22 am

Well Roelf, I shot a project last month with a EX-1/RedRock M2/Nikon primes with very good results. Focus and setup are critical. There is no "free lunch" with this setup. I lost sharpness from edge to edge and gain tons of texture and selective focus. It played just fine on a 50 foot screen and no one complained about sharpness. Here, take a look and tell me if it is like you experienced.
link: http://vimeo.com/1633670
Password: abe

Bill Bork DP
Lens Flair
Sony EX-1
Red Rock M2 35mm adapter
Apple, Mac Book Pro

To Think, is to Create

Return to posts index

Roelf-Jan Wentholt
on Sep 13, 2008 at 1:18:47 pm

Hello Bill, Thank you for your respons. I think I see the same problem I encountered in your footage: vignetting (or more vertical darkening at the very edges). For a critical judgement of the focus the picture you showed me is too small. I think I found the optimum set up. It is indeed a very precise set up. And the tiniest touch of the zoom handle means you have to re-adjust the back focus. In many situations the darkening of the edges may not matter that much. Even a bit of soft focus at the edges does not show in many shots. But I have really critical clients... The idea of these 35 adapters anyway is fantastic. I can make shots that look like 35 mm. No kidding!
Just to double check. I set the adapter in a so called hard set up. So the distance camera lens, achromat, adapter is fixed. Then I zoom out, put my lens on macro and zoom in to find that one hundreth of a milimeter setting. And before doing this all I set the ground glass as precisely as possible to match focus of the 35 lenses. The last setting I never got completely right: When focussing on 'eternity' (how do you call this in english?) My lens reading is somewhat before eternity. This means the ground glass should move towards the camera but I do not have any play left there. Maybe this is a construction error.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 13, 2008 at 4:46:22 pm

[Roelf-Jan Wentholt] "When focussing on 'eternity' (how do you call this in english?)"

It's officially called "infinity" in English. But I think I like "eternity" better, now that I've heard it.

- Don

Return to posts index

Roelf-Jan Wentholt
on Sep 13, 2008 at 7:30:00 pm

Focussing on Eternity, great name for a film business!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 13, 2008 at 8:12:25 pm

[Roelf-Jan Wentholt] "Focussing on Eternity, great name for a film business!"

"Focus On Eternity - a religious videography company"

http://www.focusoneternity.com

The domain name is not taken. Go for it.

Sort of like the investment firm I always wanted to form:

"Just-One-Step-Ahead-Of-The-Law Financial Services LTD.

- Don

Return to posts index

Ahmed Al Thawadi
on Dec 10, 2008 at 8:35:21 pm

Hi everyone ,
Anyone can advice me if I want to buy M2 redrock 35 adapter for sony EX-1 wich cine lenses , follow focusing system , rods support systems & matte box should go with .Mostly every things ( the full package for the ex-1 ).

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Sep 14, 2008 at 1:30:05 am

I purchased this M-2 at NAB this year and the Red Rock Micro team knew it had issues with the Sony EX1 that I told them I was purchasing it for. This was a nightmare and I ended up sending it back. I wouldn't recommend anyone with a Sony EX series camera to purchase this device, and the customer service is positively the worst of any company I have dealt with.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 14, 2008 at 3:01:08 am

Michael,

There must be something strange going on with the EX lens, don't you think? This makes two companies I've heard about now that are having trouble making adapters for this camera/lens combo, the other of course being the .75 WA adapter from Century Optics. Either Sony isn't very forthcoming with their lens spec. to 3rd party companies and places like Red Rock are just "winging it" or they're just missing something really obvious. Letus seems to have got it right, mind you. Curious.

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Sep 14, 2008 at 5:07:29 pm

My post is directed only to the M-2 device as I don't have any experience with other 35mm lens adapters. There is something about the Sony/Fujinon lens as it has trouble focusing in macro on such a small plain. As you said the Letus may be a better choice, but I have the EX3 and the Fujinon 2/3 lens adapter together with the Fujinon XA17x7.6BERM 17x 2/3" and it is really nice. What kills me is that Red Rock Micro rep at NAB knew about the issues with the EX series and sold it to me anyway, then he became way to busy when I needed his help. The latch from the M-2 case broke while I opened it for the first time and not one customer rep even offered to replace it.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]