FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 Lavs 1 EX-3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Chapuis
2 Lavs 1 EX-3
on Sep 10, 2008 at 1:44:17 am

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to all this so allow me a neophyte question.

How do I input 2 wireless lav mics into my ex-3. There are a couple of scenarios I've been contemplating. Let me know if these are feasible and if not any solutions/ideas that you may have used.

#1. 2-wireless lavs and an EX-3 (no mixer, just straight into the 2 xlr inputs). Do I just strap on 2 different receivers with antennae onto the camera? This seems like a lot of clutter for just 2 lavs?! Is there a system where you just have 1 receiver box and it can pick up two simultaneously and then just go to 2 xlr's out? Or do you have to have a separate receiver for each lav unit. What do you guys do. I just don't want to have all kinds of boxes and such hanging off my camera especially if I'm handheld on location.

#2 I would love it if my sound person could be mixing on say a Shure FP33 totally wireless between the subjects and the camera. Is there such a set-up? I was thinking of 2 wireless sennheiser lavs on the subjects and then the receivers would be attached to the mixer and then the outs could have those xlr transmitters they use for making handheld mics and booms wireless. Couldn't you then have some kind of receiver on the EX-3. This would be a great thing.

Thanks much.

Marc Chapuis
Creative Director
Chapuis Creative

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: 2 Lavs 1 EX-3
on Sep 10, 2008 at 3:33:42 am

[Marc Chapuis] "Do I just strap on 2 different receivers with antennae onto the camera"

Yes, you could do that. Probably the cheapest way to go. Here's something to keep all that clutter under control:

http://www.bracket1.com/

[Marc Chapuis] "Is there a system where you just have 1 receiver box and it can pick up two simultaneously and then just go to 2 xlr's out?"

Yes, there are wireless systems that can receive 2 lav signals with one wireless receiver but I can't remember manufacturer names off the top of my head. I think Sony makes one or more models that do this but they're not cheap. I'm not sure if the receiver has 2 XLR outs to keep the lav tracks (pun) separate for the camera.

As you mention in point #2 the best would be to have a sound recordist in charge of the lav audio and sending you a mix directly into your EX via XLR. The sound person would also be able to record all audio sources to separate tracks on his gear. Then you have backup.

For myself I use 2 Sennheiser systems plugged directly into the camera using both XLRs. Normally we shoot with at least one more camera so I have that for ambient and room tone.

Hope this helps.

- Don

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: 2 Lavs 1 EX-3
on Sep 10, 2008 at 3:42:08 am

http://www.zaxcom.com

Get your wallet out. But this stuff is first class and will last 20 years.

I bought my first Lectrosonics 187 wireless kit in 1990 and it still works great.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Cheaper
on Sep 10, 2008 at 3:58:58 am

http://www.azdencorp.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=93806&cat=0&pa...

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Marc Chapuis
Re: Cheaper
on Sep 10, 2008 at 5:09:33 am

Guys,

Thanks for the info. All your links were very informative. I may just buy one of those brackets or the azden set-up. I'm a little wary of azden tho. My last set was a crummy VHF plastic gumball prize. I'm hoping that these units are better. Are the actual microphones any good? If I bought one of these systems and then used say a countryman b6 mic do you think it would be a solid choice? Otherwise I'd go with a sony or sennheiser kit, I'll have to research if they make combo kits.

Thanks again.

Marc Chapuis

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Sep 11, 2008 at 4:01:03 am

Hi Marc

There was a question like this on the audio prifessionals forum, too.

There are a few makers of a dual wireless receiver. Sennheiser is not one of them. In addition to Zaxcom and Azden, there's Lectrosonics, Sony, and Audio Technica.

Zaxcom is all digital; Lectrosonics is a digital-hybrid, but requires powering by the camera and you still have to have two transmitters (only one stereo unit with Zaxcom); Sony is also all digital, and, as far as I can tell, overall the most expensive. The Audio Technica is the cheapest and comes with two transmitters. I have not used any of these, yet, so I can't vouch for them, just pass on some info.

Hopefully this helps :o)

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Sep 11, 2008 at 6:54:31 am

In wondering about the different units, price dictates quality. The Azden stuff is low priced and there's a reason for that. The recent stuff is better than the earlier stuff but it's still prosumer.

Ya kinda get what you pay for (and, you don't get what you don't pay for) Funny how that works

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]