FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firewire live direct into FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Sniffen
Firewire live direct into FCP
on Sep 8, 2008 at 10:48:10 pm

I have a Sony 355. Is it possible to Firewire right into FCP while shooting in HD? If so, does FCP need certain codecs, etc. We would like to shoot on disc but the client wants to import on the spot live.

Thanks,
Scott Sniffen

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Firewire live direct into FCP
on Sep 8, 2008 at 11:23:40 pm

What sort of camera is that? If it's DV then probably yet. Live capture via Uncontrolled Firewire device. Kind of a clunky workflow though...

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Scott Sniffen
on Sep 9, 2008 at 12:05:27 am

Its the Sony PDW-F355 full size Xdcam HD camera. Yes firewire but in HD and with what codec?

Scott

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 9, 2008 at 11:04:56 am

I'm not sure that outputs a live Firewire format that FCP can pick up but maybe someone else will chime in. On some cameras that connection is strictly for data transfer.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

stephen may
on Sep 10, 2008 at 3:08:21 am

I'm on show site at DEMO08, and we're sending firewire out of our program record Sony DSR-1500A standard definition to the team that's capturing to FCP, who later encode to flash for streaming. So, it shouldn't be an issue, however, that said, I'd dry run it first to test it.

XDCAM is fairly compressed MPEG2 and likely you will need to have FCP6 in order to employ the XDCAM codecs, its correct that you'll have to capture 'uncontrolled' device. Make sure that your capture settings allow for the length of capture that you will need, so that it doesn't cut out before you are done. Obviously, you need to have a scratch disc assignment that is more than large enough to contain the video files.

And that's it, but dry-run it and make sure it works. Let us know if you have a hang up of glitch.

-Stephen

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Sep 10, 2008 at 9:50:40 am

not sure if you can get live firewire out when in HD record mode, but you can certainly do so in DV record mode ... down side for anyone in PAL land, there is a bug in the camera firmware that causes live firewire output to always conform to 30 fps (not 25 fps) so you get NASTY results

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]