FORUMS: list search recent posts

Focussing on objects in the mid distance

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Huckle
Focussing on objects in the mid distance
on Sep 7, 2008 at 11:53:12 am

I used my EX1 to shoot a rugby match yesterday afternoon. Apart from the rain and having to work round the rain jacket, I couldn't focus the EX1 on the action on the other side of the pitch, say about 30m-40m away. I don't know the physics of lenses but is it unreasonable to expect the lens on the ex1 to focus on objects 30 metres away when using the telephoto? Does my lens need adjusting by Sony or are my expectations unrealistic? Also, what is the best lens cleaner to use in the rain to avoid smudges and smears on the screen?

Return to posts index

Stephen May
Re: Focussing on objects in the mid distance
on Sep 7, 2008 at 6:22:07 pm

The EX1 can operate in a full auto mode, a semi auto mode and a manual mode. On the side of the lens there are some switches that effect the way the camera focuses. It is possible to have the lens set to 'Macro' which enables a focus on extremely close objects. This should be OFF when shooting distant objects. Further, if you are running in Auto Focus, and something is close by and near your camera, the sensor can be fooled to focus on it. A good practice is to go manual, and to set all switches to manual, and at that point, I like to hold the focus ring and pull it to the back position (closer to the camera body).

When you do that, the focus ring has a finite distance it will turn and the focal distances will be relative on the markers. This is especially useful when you are zoomed in, and then focus is less forgiving and adjustments are more precise then when you are zoomed out and wide. Make sure the "Full Auto' button on the side of the camera is off.

-s

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Mark Huckle
Re: Focussing on objects in the mid distance
on Sep 8, 2008 at 4:59:17 pm

I always film in manual. I think that there has been a problem with the nd filter and focus so I'm sending the camera back under the silver service scheme.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]