FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 HDV to DVD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny White
EX1 HDV to DVD
on Sep 5, 2008 at 2:36:11 pm

Hi,

When I got my ex1 I reckoned I'd never use the HDV, why bother when I've got 35 mb/s but I recently discovered that HDV is great for making HD DVDs as it doesn't need rendering because it seems to already be mpeg 2.

I have a touch screen HD DVD to produce and I'm thinking of shooting 25 mb/s to save on encoding my assets for DVD.

Make sense ? Am I right?

Thanks,

Johnny

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: EX1 HDV to DVD
on Sep 5, 2008 at 3:59:11 pm

Um not really but good try though. HDV is not DVD ready or HD-DVD ready and at any rate would still require rendering/transcoding. Therefore a 35 mbit signal will always be a better source for DVD than a 25 mbit one. Stick with XDCAM HD- that's what the camera is best at.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Johnny White
on Sep 5, 2008 at 4:20:07 pm

The thing is I'm not burning to DVD I'm just playing using Apple DVD player off computer, it seems to work, try it!

(I didn't invent it by the way I got it from a thread on another forum)...

Maybe I'm still wrong in some important way???

j.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 6, 2008 at 2:13:38 am

Ah that's different- yeah Apple DVD player does a lot of playback of non-standard DVD material. That's not the way you'd do it if you want a DVD to play anywhere else though.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 8, 2008 at 1:17:20 pm

And, with all my respect Johny, I don't see the point of shooting 25Mbps with an EX-1.
Would be easier with an HDV camera and recording in tape.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 8, 2008 at 2:13:37 pm

There is every point Rafael and I do it all the time. We have the bigger chips (CMOS), better lens, proper control etc with the EX1 AND the option of going out to HDV tape via firewire. I've done tests on a huge cinema screen and there was not an obvious difference between the 35Mbps material and the 25 although it must be preferable to shoot 35 all other considerations being equal.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 8, 2008 at 8:52:24 pm

Beg to differ on that- put 35 and 25 on a vector scope and waveform with a properly calibrated monitor set to the blue channel and you'll see a mountain of difference in the noise and resolution.

Noah

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 9, 2008 at 12:24:01 pm

Glad to hear that Noah but an audience of film makers in the cinema we were using couldn't see the difference on a huge screen. What you say however must make sense and the finished SD DVD must benefit from the higher res.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

ronn kilby
on Sep 14, 2008 at 9:08:04 pm

In Avid Media Composer, I Export->HDV which creates an m2t elementary stream file which I drag into MyDVD-10. It rewraps the m2t to Mpeg. I create an SD DVD with 16:9 pixels. It plays as widescreen on widescreen TV, as letterboxed on 4:3 TVs. Quick and easy, looks good too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]