FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting for D-BETA

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zik staav
Exporting for D-BETA
on Sep 4, 2008 at 6:02:28 pm

hey there.
i shot a music video on my EX1 in 1080-24p mode and edited in Final cut pro.

as these videos are going to air, i am outputting a D-Beta copy that goes off to the TV station.

what is the lossless output option in FCP for me to select?

if i am exporting using the sonyexcam compressor or the apple prores compressor, am i losing quality?
(by the way, how lossy is the apple prores codec?)

uncompressed 10 bit i know is the choice normally when going from film to d-beta, but is this overkill for XDCAM footage?

i appreciate the help if you know what is best for to do.
this is all of our 1st times using the XDCAM for this type of project and i'd really like the final end-product to look as awesome on TV as it does on my monitor.

thanks
zik

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Exporting for D-BETA
on Sep 4, 2008 at 9:44:56 pm

[zik staav] "as these videos are going to air, i am outputting a D-Beta copy that goes off to the TV station. "

Have you asked them about MPEG2 Program or Transport Stream delivery. A music video isn't very long in most cases so FTPing the above would be easy. I do local cable spots and I never use tape anymore. I encode Program or Transport streams these days. It's faster, cheaper, no risk of a bad dub.

Return to posts index

zik staav
on Sep 5, 2008 at 12:55:32 am

the criteria of the grant sponsoring the video state the final product MUST be delivered on D-BETA.
in the past, shooting on film, this was a no-brainer...
i did a 10bit uncompressed export and dubbed to tape.
now though, i am confused by what is the highest level XDCAM export i can make that is both lossless and not a larger file size than necessary.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 6, 2008 at 12:32:55 pm

Now that Apple released a ProRes playback component that will work on Windows, that might be the way to go. Of course you need to make sure the facility doing the output has the component but it is free.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 8, 2008 at 1:27:21 pm

[zik staav] "uncompressed 10 bit i know is the choice normally when going from film to d-beta, but is this overkill for XDCAM footage? "
Not overkilling at all. Working and rendering in 10b have a lot of advantages.
Before rendering change your sequence codec to ProRes HQ. Set "Render all YUV in High Precision" and "Motion Rendering: Best".

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]