FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCam EX1 to DigiBeta?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hernan Jimenez
XDCam EX1 to DigiBeta?
on Sep 4, 2008 at 5:05:53 am

Hi there,

I just finished a project on FCP that I shot on XDCAM EX1 (1080 24p). I need to transfer the final cut to DigiBeta or BetaSp...
What exactly do I need to do in order to accomplish this?

Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: XDCam EX1 to DigiBeta?
on Sep 4, 2008 at 11:59:22 am

If you don't have the deck and a card with component and/or SDI out, or will to rent borrow or whatever.

You could send an external drive with a .mov to a place like Video Transfers in Boston, or an editing suite with formats you need. And have the put it on format of your choice, and even scope it to make sure it is legal.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Hernan Jimenez
on Sep 4, 2008 at 2:27:10 pm

Thanks Olof!

Now, what would be the best settings for exporting this .mov, so that I can obtain the best possible quality on the DigiBeta?

Thanks again for your time...

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Sep 4, 2008 at 6:56:19 pm

I would use Uncompressed or Prores, but to be sure contact and ask the facility you plan to use.

If I was to do lets say a BetaSP NTSC, you would have to export as Prores SD or uncompressed SD 1080i with pulldown. There are a lot of choices letterbox, cropped or anamorphic.

Or you could let the facility do the conversion for you. Just give them the specs you want and send the HD file.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 4, 2008 at 9:47:45 pm

Since someone in a thread above had a similar question I'll give a similar suggestion.

Have you asked whether the entity you're delivering to can take an MPEG2 Program or Transport Stream? These days many TV stations are using such files in addition to or a replacement to tape formats.

Return to posts index

Hernan Jimenez
on Sep 4, 2008 at 10:08:41 pm

Hi Craig,

it is actually a festival and they require their screening format to be DigiBeta or BetaSp. I guess MPEG2 would make things a lot easier, but I highly doubt they'd allow it. Makes very little sense: I would imagine most of the work festivals get these days is shot HD.

Thanks for your advice, though!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 4, 2008 at 10:29:23 pm

[Hernan Jimenez] "it is actually a festival"
I guess until digital cinema takes hold there's still a use for tape in that market. One might think that Blu-ray would be a viable alternative but few people can burn them themselves although burners are around $500 and players around $400 give or take. I've seen some nice Blu-ray to HD projection though.

Return to posts index

Hernan Jimenez
on Sep 4, 2008 at 10:06:29 pm

Great!
Thanks for your help, Olof, really appreciate it.

Hernan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]