FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDW-F70 HD-SDI in/out problems

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Mutzelburg
PDW-F70 HD-SDI in/out problems
on Sep 3, 2008 at 6:43:07 am

Hi all,

I am having an issue with my XDCAM deck. I am using FCP 6 and capturing with an AJA Kona 3 card via HD-SDI connections using batch capture technique. I am outputing to tape in the same manner.

Where I run into problems is if I have both the HD-SDI input and HD-SDI output cables connected at the same time. It works fine for putting to tape but when I capture and both are connected, the screen flickers purple and green.

To remedy this I have to disconnect the HD-SDI input and it works fine. This is annoying because I have to connect and dissconect all the time.

Anyone have a similar problem and know how to fix it?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
Re: PDW-F70 HD-SDI in/out problems
on Sep 3, 2008 at 2:02:07 pm

Wouldn't you be better off using firewire to import the XDcam disc files directly, then use the HD SDI to write back to the disc when necessary. At the least that would eliminate having to change cables, as well as some unnecessary conversion going into fcp.

Return to posts index

Ray Raley
on Sep 3, 2008 at 9:34:35 pm

If a F70 is like a PDW-F75, then the Reference Select is set to synchronize to the HDSDI input. You should send the same external reference signal going to your Kona card to the F70 Ref Video input and change to menu item (under Video Control on the F75). You have a nice little feedback loop going on. The Kona 3 manual has instructions for dealing with external reference video with or without a breakout box.

I would also ask, why not XDCam Transfer?

Return to posts index

Martin Mutzelburg
on Sep 3, 2008 at 11:17:36 pm

Thanks Ray, I'll have a closer look at the manuals re: video reference.

As for not using XDCam Tansfer...

We used it when we first changed to XDCam format but soon realised recapturing footage that had been deleted from the HDD was messy. For example, the naming of the files it captured. C000.. etc. If we went back to an old project and tried to reconnect/recapture footage and there was usually other files with the same name from different projects. We just found it easier and neater to organise archived footage and to reconnect old projects.

I am a bit of a neat freak and like my files/footage to be organised well for future reference.

If there is an efficient way to do this using XDCam Transfer I would be interested to know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]