FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-3 ergonomics

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronnie Martin
EX-3 ergonomics
on Sep 2, 2008 at 3:54:04 pm

I have the EX-1 and it is a pain to use hand held. Anyone out there have experience with the EX-3? Is is any eaiser to hold hand held.
Thanks

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX-3 ergonomics
on Sep 2, 2008 at 5:41:29 pm

Actually, I found a pretty good way to hand hold the EX1 that results in steady shots and a minimum of arm strain:

- right hand in the hand grip, adjust angle to taste.
- upper arms flat against body.
- EVF eyepiece pushed firmly against eye socket for a stability point.
- thumb of left hand under the EX where the tripod plate attaches.
- forefinger of left hand now free to work the iris, index finger for the man. focus ring.

Even if you don't use the EVF you can still see the flip out LCD with your other eye, but it's important to keep the eyepiece jammed against your head for added stability. And keep your other left fingers off the camera when you use the motor zoom otherwise they'll hit the rotating zoom knob when it goes by.

Works for me.

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 3, 2008 at 4:59:54 pm

Don has the right idea but it is a struggle. I too jam into the finder but you can't rely on it for focussing so have to be in auto focus for that. The real answer would be to have an adaptation of the EX3 finder that I have been begging Sony to investigate. Anyone going to IBC in Amsterdam please push for this. I know Sony would say "buy the EX3" but I've just bought the EX1 and anyway the 3 is heavier.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Sep 3, 2008 at 12:00:49 am

Both the EX-1 and the EX-3 are great cameras, and both are awful ( but differently awful) for any extended handheld work.
There are a number of mounts and grips available but none really get the job done....yet. Hopefully more will be developed as the camera becomes more common.
I cobbled together a baseplate, shoulder mount from another camera and an anton bauer brick for power and balance, so far it works great, but needs some refinement.
But the cameras are so good I say just find a way to work around the grip issues.

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Sep 3, 2008 at 12:04:12 am

I bought one but it would only allow me to use the fold out viewfinder. It is not much use in direct sunlight. My neck is just not long enough to see through the eye piece.

Do you have any pictures to show of your mount?

If so send them to me at ronnievideo@aol.com

thanks

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions

Return to posts index

Johnny White
on Sep 3, 2008 at 9:39:05 am

I find the ex1 pretty hard for hand held too but one simple thing I did made a big difference.
I tightened the strap extra tight, so tight that I have to wiggle my hand in.
Maybe it's obvious but I find it makes a huge difference...

Johnny

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Sep 3, 2008 at 5:19:49 pm

I find the EX3 with chinplate installed and slideout shoulder pad quite easy to use. The Steady feature in the stock lens helps as well.

My experience is that it is far less tiering than shooting with a full size (in my case a DSR500).

I have also adopted my seadi-cam™ mini to the EX3. This works really great and is 20 lbs lighter now.

Below is a link to a quick and dirty video about a Rock Band, shot in about an hour. Some steadi-cam™ some handheld. This was shot after a 12hr run and gun day, 250 miles of driving 5 locations and 2 hrs on tape (SxS that is). We then shot this after dinner. I don't think I could have done it with my 500, I would have been too tired to do an hour of stedi after toting the 500 around all day, not to mention the stedi shoot. I also shot 2 of those locations with stedi-cam™. The Harley shot was just hanging out the window with EX3 hand held low for dramatic angle.

I love this camera, plan to get another and sell the 500's.

http://www.westsideav.com/wot/TPband.html

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Sep 3, 2008 at 5:40:42 pm

I also have the DSR 500. It is a great SD camera and actually gives me better SD DVDs than downconverted footage from the EX-1. However, the image on my HD monitor with the EX-1 in either mode HDV or HQ 1920X1080 is just awesome. Right now my market is a long way off from Blu Ray and I am not even sure it will take off in the next year or two. The price of the Blu Ray disk is just way to high for a product that sells for $25 US. It is a struggle even with the price of the SD DVDs. If you are producing projects that are one offs and you know that your client has a compatible player then I would go for it. As long as Sony has monopoly the price will be a long time coming down.

Sorry to digress from the topic at hand. Hopefully, I will find a solution for the EX-1 hand held. Now if we could just find a remote
focus control that would work while shooting from a tripod.
take care

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions

Return to posts index

paul crowe
on Sep 4, 2008 at 5:37:22 am

Hi Olf.

Is this a crazy question? Do the lenses from the DSR 500 fit on the EX3? If so, have you tried them. How are the results?

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Sep 4, 2008 at 11:52:37 am

I have not tried my Canon 18X from the 500 on the EX3 yet.

It would fit if I got the 2/3" adapter (a 1/2" adapter comes with the EX3), and I may end up getting it, but not for the SD 18X.

I will probably get a wider lens 4.5mm, or wider if they become available. I love the idea of not using a add on wide lens. It will be interesting to see what comes out in the next year or so.

The stock lens is wider than my 18x on the 500, but I want something equal to a 20-24mm (35mm) lens.

What I would love to see is an adapter so I can use my Canon M series 35mm lenses. I have 3 of them for my still cameras and the would be great for long wildlife shots.

And frankly even at 14X for my purposes it is long enough. I use a Miller Solo tripod, witch I like a lot, it is light and very smooth. But even at only 14 X it is very touchy, even wind will vibrate the image. I can get smooth pans even at 14X if I use a rubber band to pull handle. Any longer setting really only works locked down, and in calm wind situations. I found that using image stabilization produces worse results, I always leave that off on sticks.

There is lot of discussion on these forums about SD lenses for HD. If I do get the 2/3" adapter I will certanly try any lenses I have and I will publish my results here. I will bet that the stock lens is better than most SD lenses for this cam.

If I was doing a lot of long shots I would have to invest in a much heavier duty tripod. I know I could use the DIAWA I have for the 500, it would probably be smoother. But the EX3 feels much better on the Miller Solo.

Maybe someone out there has a suggestion for good sticks for long lens on a light camera. I think hanging sandbags on the sticks will help. I have shot on top of Mt. Washington in 100mph wind with both Beta and DSR500's, and there it took two of us to hold down the camera and sticks.

Also I think the plate mount on the EX3 is not very heavy duty, and apt to make camera shaky. I plan to work on a solution for this. I think with a much heavier lens this may be a big issue.

So I would say if you do a lot of really long shots a bigger camera would be much better solution, unless there is some sort of revolution is support systems.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Sep 4, 2008 at 2:10:47 pm

The EX3 is a marvelous camera not matter the ergonomics. I started out on a RCA tube camera recording to a Sony 110 "portable" 3/4" deck in 1982 with NO shoulder pad on the camera. The EX3 feels like a little dove in my hands compared to that monster.

Back to today, just got off the phone with a shooter who bought the Fuji 13x.3.3 lens made for the XD series. He loves the lens-looks fantastic he said. But of course is is very front heavy.
He had Zacuto build a lens support since he worried about the stress to the camera at the 1/2" lens adapter.

Ergonomics are why I waited to buy the EX3-well that and the removable lens (yippee).

Granted it will never be the well balanced shoulder mount camera many of us are used to, but it is still amazing what has developed in this industry since the early days of "portable" video cameras.

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Sep 4, 2008 at 2:35:44 pm

Great Post Paul: However, the EX-1 is my main camera for sports
(dirt car racing http://www.dirtracingvideo.com) and it literally kills my wrist. Most of the time I am way above the track during the race in a spot where it would be impossible to get up a tripod and most of the shooting is in a downward position. When each feature race is concluded and the cars go through tech inspection, I climb down and get to the track for the interview of the winner. Here is where I have the problem. When I take my hand from under the camera to adjust focus my old tired wrist on my right hand wobbles and many times ruins a good shot. Things happen quickly and when the interview is over and while the still photographers are taking their shots I run back up the bleachers and climb to my perch and get ready (breathlessly I must say) for the next race. During the heat of the season I shoot every weekend sometimes both Friday and Saturday nights. I have tried the wrist brace by Hoodman but I can't climb up the ladder on the press box with it. Were it not for the dust and debris down close to the track I would leave another camera down there for just the winning interviews. (Also it could walk off.)
I bought a brace off E-bay and found that I could not see through the eye piece and that when the sun was up focus through the viewfinder was impossible. When I contacted the seller he had vanished with out a trace. Evidently he sold a bunch of the braces on E-bay and then suddenly stopped for some reason. Maybe because it wouldn't work with the EX-1. I must admit that the brace was well constructed and balanced enough that I could climb with it. It was called a CB105.

Thanks again

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]