FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ridata Ultra-S Plus MLC SSDs arrive in 32/64/128GB flavors, start at $170

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronnie Martin
Ridata Ultra-S Plus MLC SSDs arrive in 32/64/128GB flavors, start at $170
on Sep 2, 2008 at 3:35:10 pm

Are these the long waited low cost alternative to the SXS cards for the EX-1?

Thanks

Ronnie

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: Ridata Ultra-S Plus MLC SSDs arrive in 32/64/128GB flavors, start at $170
on Sep 2, 2008 at 3:45:39 pm

I think those are Solid State Drives, for Laptops.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/15/ridata-ultra-s-plus-mlc-ssds-arrive-in-3...

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Sep 2, 2008 at 3:51:09 pm

Thanks... I hope that there will be some relief on the SXS cards soon. I thought that I heard at NAB 08 that there would be other companies releasing competive prices soon. However, SOON could be a long time off.

Thanks again

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 2, 2008 at 4:14:36 pm

Note this from a post I made a few days back.

We looked into certifying non SxS cards for EX but the results were very poor; ranging from not meeting their own specs to taking a long while to do so....

Juan Martinez
Senior Manager Technology
Sony Electronics Inc.

That said, I know there are people experimenting with the EX1 WITH the 1.11 firmware upgrade. The reasoning being is that the firmware allows for USB ExpressCards because the PHU60K is actually a USB hard drive with SxS connection.

I've heard reports that someone got a Lexar 8GB card to record in SP mode but not HQ. There are questions of reliability too. I believe another person found issues after attempting to record after a couple of minutes.

If you've already updated to firmware 1.11 you might test but understand the risks involved if used for mission critical (paying) work.

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Sep 2, 2008 at 6:09:20 pm

Thanks for the info... I suspect it will be awhile before the cards from other companies come to market. I have become addicted to tapeless cameras. The capture time on my projects is cut down by 75%. In the past it took most of a day for me to capture the footage from a racing event. Now it takes only a few minutes.

I have a HVR 270 that shoots both to Tape and a CFcard. A couple of weeks ago I shot a project for a local church picking up clips at several different locations. When I started to capture the footage and remove the tape, the tape broke. Lucky for me I had the CF card as a back up and all was well. My ideal camera would be one that would shoot full HD (like the EX series) and at the same time offer a tape archive. That is what I like about the 270. However, the image quality cannot compare with the EX.

Thanks again

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]