FORUMS: list search recent posts

PHU-90k

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Chapuis
PHU-90k
on Sep 2, 2008 at 4:06:35 am

I've been interested in the hard drive for the EX-3. Is it capable of capturing in HQ mode. Looking at the specs it only lists SP.

Thanks,

Marc Chapuis

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: PHU-90k
on Sep 2, 2008 at 5:16:57 am

[Marc Chapuis] "Is it capable of capturing in HQ mode."

I honestly don't know. What I do know is that you can't record under/overcranked footage to the hard drive because the data rate is too high for the device's USB 2.0 interface. So, maybe the specification you read is correct and that the hard drive is only good for recording in SP mode, which is basically HDV format. The other thing is that you have to upgrade to the latest EX firmware, which is v.1.11, otherwise you won't be able to use the drive. The firmware upgrade will also allow the use of the 32 Gbyte SxS Pro cards.

NOTE: If your EX3 was shipped after the first half of August then it's supposed to already have the latest firmware.

- Don

Return to posts index

Johnny White
on Sep 2, 2008 at 11:21:51 am

That got me worried as I have one on order!! but here's from a press release:

'Also shown is the PHU-60K hard-disk unit designed for use with XDCAM EX camcorders - this is a 1.8-inch, 60 GB external storage unit with an USB 2.0 interface. Recording times of 200 minutes in 35 Mbps HQ (high-quality) mode and 260 minutes in 25 Mbps SP (standard play) mode. When attached to a camcorder, the hard-disk unit functions just like an SxS PRO card, with thumbnail views available on the LCD panel of the PMW-EX1 or PMW-EX3 camcorders or PMW-EX30 deck'.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 2, 2008 at 1:23:11 pm

This might help.
http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/mkt/recmedia/brochures/prodbroch_h...
Interesting that it's NOT clearly stated that it can't record S&Q mode although the sustained capture rate of 45Mbps would imply that since it needs something like 87Mbps to record the slowest slow mo.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]