FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is macbook pro 2.16 ghz sufficient?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Raizman
Is macbook pro 2.16 ghz sufficient?
on Sep 1, 2008 at 3:00:31 pm

I've got an ex1 and I'm picking up a macbook pro for dumping the footage and reviewing it in the field as well as some simple editing. The macbook pro has the following specs: Intel duo core 2.16 ghz processor, 3 gb RAM, ATI Radeon X1600 128 MB VRAM, 250 GB 5400rpm hard drive.

Is this configuration sufficient for what I want to do? This macbook pro maxes out at 3 GB of RAM as opposed to 4 GB for the newer models. Will this impact performance significantly? Are there any other specs I should be concerned about?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Raizman
Springboard Media
springboardhd.com
802-279-6596

Return to posts index

arnljot bringedal
Re: Is macbook pro 2.16 ghz sufficient?
on Sep 1, 2008 at 5:13:44 pm

YES!

*** Norwegian videojournalist & Editor***

Return to posts index

Dave Raizman
on Sep 1, 2008 at 6:07:15 pm

Thanks Amligot for your response. I see in your profile that you have a similar macbook pro and same version of fcp. Is the playback smooth after you copy the files to your laptop and import them into fcp or does it stutter?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Raizman
Springboard Media
springboardhd.com
802-279-6596

Return to posts index

Eli Kabillio
on Sep 1, 2008 at 7:33:06 pm

I have the same MacBookPro processor with 2 GB RAM. It works fine for capturing, playback and basic FCP editing. The most import part of the equation is the external drive you are using. I use either a G-Raid Mini 200 GB 7200 RPM via FW800 which is fine for editing. I also have a 1TB Lacie Little Big Disk which is much slower, but sufficient for capture and basic editing. After capture of the footage using the ExpressCard slot, I then eject the LaCie and connect via the eSATA port and work is much smoother.

Eli M. Kabillio

http://www.maddogfilms.com
MacPro 8 Core 2.8Ghz, 6G RAM, AJA IO/HD, FCP 6.04
MacPro 4 Core 2.66Ghz, 6G RAM, BlackMagic MultiBridge Pro, FCP 6.04
Sony PDW F350 XDCamHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]