FORUMS: list search recent posts

ex3 card-slot door

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Pruitt-Bruun
ex3 card-slot door
on Aug 30, 2008 at 2:37:45 pm

hey folks. i was looking at an ex3 yesterday at Abel and was immediately struck by the flimsiness of the card-slot door. Matel might have done a better job. having done away with the achilles heel that a tape drive represents, it seems like backward-thinking to put such a flimsy cover over the only exposure point of the guts of the camera. and i can easily see the door getting roughed up or broken just having the camera in a close enclosure.

as this camera comes from the cine-alta group, i must say i was expecting a rather more robust overall design. the z7u seems far more substantial than the ex3, tho also heavier. i imagine it's early to tell about wear-and-tear issues, but i'm wondering about other's thoughts/experiences on the matter.

Michael

Return to posts index

Stephen May
Re: ex3 card-slot door
on Aug 30, 2008 at 4:30:11 pm

I baby my EX1, and I'm like that with everything, but the sliding cover to the SxS card slots doesn't bother me as much as the ON/OFF switch in the back to shoot, or review media. I think they changed that on the EX3, but I'm not sure. Its a lot of camera for the money, and I imagine there's some give-and-take for all the features and the Fujinon lens (in the case of the EX1.) - but the cover works.

Another aspect of the EX1 that I would give a heads-up for is that if you use a mounted stick mic, like a Sennheiser shotgun, and if you put a good wind cover on it, you'll see it in your frame when you're zoomed out wide. That's always nice to catch at the editing room! "Oh, great - how did I miss that in the field?"

The only other thing that really bothered me, didn't seem to be a concern among other EX1 users, is the chromatic aberration, when zoomed all the way in, especially in 1920 x 1080. I've been able to reduce that problem by employing Picture Profiles. Anyway, the EX1 is a great camera, and I've seen chromatic aberrations in more expensive cameras, and also in high level digital SLR cameras too.

-s

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 30, 2008 at 4:57:06 pm

[Stephen May] "if you put a good wind cover on it, you'll see it in your frame when you're zoomed out wide."

You need one of these, Stephen:

http://www.ktekbooms.com/products.php?id=47

Without it the problem gets even worse when using a wide angle adapter. The other advantage is not having any mechanical noise from the camera transmitted through the camera body and into the mic.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 30, 2008 at 5:39:45 pm

I'm using the Sony 680s shotugun and don't see it at full wide. Maybe if we posted the lengths of our respective shotguns we can see where the threshold might be. It could help some of us make provisions as we mic shop.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-ECM680S/

Sony 680s
9 7/8"
and it's not visible at full wide.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 30, 2008 at 6:03:19 pm

Audio Technica AT4073a length: 9.13" (232mm)

The addition of the K-Tek model K-SM shock mount makes virtually any length shotgun usable without having it appear in the frame because the mount is so high up. If I was smart enough to know how to post a picture here I could show one with my EX set up. But I'd start a new thread, of course. Shock mounts are a long way from the subject of card slot doors (g).

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Pruitt-Bruun
on Aug 30, 2008 at 5:33:12 pm

the ex1 card-slot cover is better than the one on the ex3. i still wouldn't want to be shooting on a beach on a windy day without taping it up. but it looks like it might last a little longer.

regarding shotguns in your frame, i never did get along well with the stock mic mounts on the smaller cameras. i tend to used a (k-tek?) shock mount to get it higher. it's more stable, and isolates handling noise better.

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Aug 31, 2008 at 4:38:45 am

I am really beginning to appreciate the resources that COW bring to people like me! Thanks for the help - great suggestions. So does the shockmount attach to the (hot-shoe?) mount that is directly above the onboard mic, and to the side of the shotgun mount that I've been using?

Stephen May
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 31, 2008 at 4:54:55 am

[Stephen May] "So does the shockmount attach to the (hot-shoe?) mount that is directly above the onboard mic, and to the side of the shotgun mount that I've been using?"

Nope. There's another K-Tek piece that can be found here:

http://www.ktekbooms.com/products.php?id=81

that goes right inside the stock Sony mic holder. It's got a bolt on the end that the K-Tek shock mount attaches to. The cylinder is just a tad smaller in diameter than the Sony mic clamp but I just wrap some black camera tape around it until it fits snugly inside when the clamp is tightened down on it. These K-Tek pieces are widely available so you shouldn't have much difficulty in finding them at most broadcast supply stores.

K-Tek also makes a mic adapter for the cold shoe but I prefer to keep the mic in its stock location and save the cold shoe for other things like lighting or a wireless rig.

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Pruitt-Bruun
on Aug 31, 2008 at 12:43:52 pm

now, if k-tek would just make a replacement card-slot cover.... ;)

Return to posts index

Derek Hall
on Sep 1, 2008 at 12:33:08 am

I carry a couple of large clear zip-lock plastic bags so I can cover the camera when changing a card in windy/dusty/wet conditions. Zip-lock so I can keep the bags securely closed when not in use and therefore clean inside. The digital version of a changing bag I guess. There are a lot of flimsy things about the EX1 and EX3 casing; the low-budget camera excuse is only partly plausible.

Re. the mic holder, I'm using a Rycote (CAA?) adapter which mounts in the camera mic holder, and gives separation to stay clear of the lens when wide, and to provide much better shock protection. I'm using it with a Sennheiser ME66 which is 315mm long, and get plenty of clearance and noise isolation.

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Sep 1, 2008 at 7:55:21 pm

Derek,

That's exactly the mic I use as well, and I also have the Rycote 'wookie' - so it sounds like the Rycote adaptor will be a safe upgrade. Also in the reply to your post, I caught the correction: Cold Shoe! You're right, and it makes good sense to leave that open for wireless mic receivers.

Derek, on the 'low-budget camera excuse' - I like your sentiment. Truth is that mine just came back from Sony Repair in LA, and inside of a really long story, I got the "Sub $10,000 routine from one of the guys at Sony (not LA repair). He was, btw, the guy who authorized the repair. But I know what you mean about the whole inexpensive position.

Thanks for the help.

Stephen May
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]