FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 transfer procedure to FCP 6

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Din noor
EX1 transfer procedure to FCP 6
on Aug 30, 2008 at 3:23:58 am

Hi,
as i bought recently 1set of EX1 & a FCP editing station.
Could anyone guide me thru the procedure or a site, thats instruct us on how to transfer clips to FCP.Is it Via firewire or USB2?
Do i need any plug-in, or special setting either on EX1 or FCP?
pls advise.
thks
Din

be calm & patience.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1 transfer procedure to FCP 6
on Aug 30, 2008 at 3:31:18 am

Make sure you have Sony Clip Browser 2. Sony XDCAM Transfer Tool 2.7. FCP 6.0.2 or up.

If you're coming from the camera you'd use USB2.
If you have a MacBookPro it would be by ExpressPort in laptop. Make sure you install the driver first.
If you bought the Express card to USB reader for desktop it would be from that.

I would suggest copy using ClipBrowser to hard drive and then backup to DL-DVD R+
Then use XDCAM Transfer Tool to access the BPAV parent folders and rewrap to MOV.

If you confirm the versions I mention above and provide more detail I can provide more details.

Return to posts index

Neil Rubino
on Aug 30, 2008 at 2:31:20 pm

Isn't it true that if you are using FCP and the Mac (of course}, then there is no need to use the Sony Clip Browser 2 software? I think that all of the Sony Clip Browser 2 functions are duplicated in the XDCAM Transfer Tool, which can be run from within FCP, or as a standalone program on the Mac.

Neil Rubino

shooter/editor/producer

MCPS Instructional TV

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 30, 2008 at 3:07:40 pm

[Neil Rubino] "then there is no need to use the Sony Clip Browser 2 software?"
Absolutely NOT true.

[Neil Rubino] "Sony Clip Browser 2 functions are duplicated in the XDCAM Transfer Tool, "
Not TRUE AT ALL.

Have you downloaded the software and read the PDF manuals?

Do you HAVE to use Sony Clip Browser? No.
You don't HAVE to use seat belts when you get into a car either (laws might say otherwise though)
Do you have any archival or back up plan?
How are going to back up 16GB BPAV folders?
How are you going to verify that the copies are good before you erase the cards?

I can't even begin to count the posts by people with problems who tried to copy and organize BPAV folders by hand.

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Aug 30, 2008 at 4:12:51 pm

Neil,

I've got one for you guys... (now COW will know how much I don't know!) Here it is:
My process now is that I ingest my SxS media via XDCAM Transfer, and I've named a location, HD Scatch, and after I'm finished with labeling my clips, notes, "good/Keep" etc. I select import, and check my folder.

They're always in an 'Untitled' folder, (did they ever fix that? I can't name my SxS card) and I rename the untitled folder or I make a new folder, and drop them in accordingly, and then I duplicate that entire folder to an external RAID as a backup.

When I begin a project in FCP6 I name and save my project and then, in the browser, I 'import >files' and select from my HD Scratch what I need. By doing it this way, my notes never come into my browser with the XDCAM clips. I remember when I did my first XDCAM edit in FCP6 I actually selected IMPORT>XDCAM, but that option is not there anymore. I've been so busy, I just kinda went, "oh.." and I keep going, without my notes showing. What happened? What am I doing wrong? If this has been answered over and over, please let me know where to look.

thanks for your help. -s

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Aug 30, 2008 at 4:50:57 pm

I'm working out of the office today on my macbook pro, and just realized something obvious! I have Leopard on my laptop and still running Tiger on the mac pro at the office - and that's why I can't see the Import XDCAM option at work.

The first cut I did with the EX1 was from home on my laptop. But still don't get why my notes don;t come in with my clips when I right-click in the Browser / Import > Files.

Stephen May
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 30, 2008 at 5:14:24 pm

[Stephen May] "I have Leopard on my laptop and still running Tiger on the mac pro at the office - and that's why I can't see the Import XDCAM option at work. "

I'm running FCP 6.0.2 with Tiger 10.4.11 on a Mac Pro here and I can use the "Import XDCAM" option just fine. There must be something that's different between your machine and mine.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 30, 2008 at 5:33:20 pm

I remember there being some odd issue with 10.4.11 and a specific version of QT that might result in something like this (or did it simply show missing media).

Just in case, What version Quicktime are you using?
Have you tried creating a new user with admin status and trying from there?

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Aug 31, 2008 at 7:09:28 pm

That brings up a good question: I run Software Update once in a while, and have become a little paranoid about upgrading anything that Apple says needs to be upgrades. Lately, it is often a large file patch that enables the latest software which is centered around all the new hardware/iPod/iPhone stuff.

My main concern is FCP stability, so if software update says "Strongly recommended update" for "Security reasons" but then goes on to basically say that the update enables you to rent movies, or sync with the wireless hard drive - or whatever for the iPhone/cloud synchronicity... well, I just get worried that either it will effect my Quicktime Pro software or who knows what? So once I'm stable, I become very clingy to what I have and slow to update.

All that said, I'm probably pretty behind in my Quicktime Updates. I'm on 7.3.1 for example on my macbook pro. And at work, probably even older. What advice do you have regarding Quicktime Updates for Quicktime Pro users that are not interested in iTunes/iPhone compatibility but serious about FCS2 stability?

Stephen May
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 31, 2008 at 8:16:42 pm

[Stephen May] "All that said, I'm probably pretty behind in my Quicktime Updates."

You're not alone. I'm also using QT 7.3.1 because of its stability with the rest of my FCS2 suite. My past practice is to not update anything unless a piece of software critical to my work will not run because something else needs updating. When I do need to update I never, ever do it in the middle of a project.

Alternatively, a lot of users will, or should, clone their startup drive to a bootable external hard disc (firewire 400 minimum) if they feel compelled to try the latest and greatest software updates. If it doesn't work out they can always boot up using the external drive and carry on like nothing happened. Programs like Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper are designed for this. With Leopard and its Time Machine software you can do the same thing as long as you have a dedicated drive set aside for this one purpose and it's always connected and running.

- Don

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Sep 3, 2008 at 4:12:52 am

Don,

Check this out:

http://www.digitalrebellion.net/blog/posts/recommended_quicktime_and_mac_os...

pretty useful chart comparing FCP versions with OSX versions and QT versions that play well together.

What do you think? -s

Stephen May
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 3, 2008 at 4:56:28 pm

Thanks for the link, Stephen. The list pretty much mirrors what I've been hearing. I'm assuming that FCP v.6.0.4 is not there yet because the either the list hasn't been updated or there's not enough data to base a conclusion.

- Don

Return to posts index

Neil Rubino
on Sep 6, 2008 at 4:33:17 pm

Yes I have downloaded the Clip browser software, version 2, as well as the Transfer software. Also the SxS driver for the laptop. I did read the PDF about the clip browser software. Also various Sony PDF brochures about the XDCAM HD and XDCAM EX workflows.

I am only using the XDCAM EX-1 with Final Cut Pro 6.03.

Here is what I have been doing. I am shooting with an 8GB or 16GB SxS card on the XDCAM EX-1. Back at the office on the Mac system I use the transfer software to turn the clips into QuickTime files and place them on the video media drive. I close the transfer software when I am done. Then, using the Mac OS Finder, I copy the BPAV folder from the SxS card and place it in another folder I have labeled with my shoot name and date. I then burn this folder to a single or double layer DVD, depending on how much data I need to burn. That's one backup. I copy the same folder to a firewire drive for a second backup. So I have forms of the footage in three places now. I then put the SxS card back in the camera and delete all clips using the camera options before I do the next shoot.

What I see from re-reading the manuals is that the clip browser offers conversion options if you are using Avid or Vegas or other non linear editors. Also, it offers the capability to relink or reconnect very long clips - ones that are over 4 gigabytes, or clips that span two SxS cards, into one clip on your media drive. It also can regroup the clips on a 16 gigabyte card into smaller groups so that you can have a BPAV folder that is not larger than say 8 gig or 4 gig. This enables you to burn the folders to single or double layer DVD's.

I have only been using the EX-1 for two weeks now and I've mostly been shooting on 8GB cards. So it has been easy to burn the backup just using the Mac OS Finder. When I shot using the 16GB card recently, I had about 10 gig of media to backup. I was able to create a new folder structure using the Mac Finder that was exactly the same, BPAV, CLPR etc, and copy over just enough of the clips to the new location so I had two folder sets that I could burn to DVD as archive copies.

I did this AFTER I imported my video into the FCP project by the way, so if something went wrong I still had all my Quicktime files.

I will try the Clip browser software next time to divide up a 16GB SxS card for archiving.

Neil Rubino

shooter/editor/producer

MCPS Instructional TV

Return to posts index

Rafael Cruz
on Oct 5, 2009 at 3:59:08 pm

Forgive me if this is answered somewhere in the thread (I read through most of it, but am short on time):

Can I import Sony XDCAM EX1 footage from a G-Drive mini? I am in the process of downloading the Transfer Plug-In for FCP. And my reading suggests that I need to download the SxS driver software.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 5, 2009 at 5:58:31 pm

Yes. I'd use ClipBrowser with CRC to copy over and then use XDCAM Transfer to wrap as MOV. You'll only need the SxS driver if you're on a laptop and using the Express slot for SxS cards. If you're on Snow Leopard you may want to use FCP Log and Transfer plugin instead of XDCAM Transfer due to a "cache" bug.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]