FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Date/Time resets after I turn off camera...

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Brown
Camera Date/Time resets after I turn off camera...
on Aug 29, 2008 at 10:00:29 pm

I recently sold my hvx200 and replaced it with an EX3. For the most part I like it and feel in the long run will be a good choice.

But right now I have an issue with my new camera.

After the XDCAM screen appears it comes up with a date and time screen. I go through and update all the D/T and highlight SET and then Finish but everytime I turn off the camera and then turn it back on it brings up the date and time.

Also I'm wondering if I set the camera for 1080 24p and turn it off is it supposed to go back to a defualt 1080 60i. Seems like the camera won't hold settings. Going from an HVX200 to EX3 I'm use to setting the camera to whatever setting I like, save it, shoot, turn off camera and turning it back on and the settings stick. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I replaced the back up battery too but it didn't change the D/T having to be reset everytime I turn on the camera.

Is anyone out there having the same issue or have any ideas?

Thanks.

Ryan Brown
DowntownBrownEnt.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Camera Date/Time resets after I turn off camera...
on Aug 30, 2008 at 5:20:00 am

[Ryan Brown] "Is anyone out there having the same issue or have any ideas? "

I don't have the EX3 but my EX1 has never had the issues you're describing and the two cameras should be identical in software and set up. When I turn my camera back on it always remembers the last settings and the date/time never have to be reset. I suspect there's something amiss with your EX3 and if you can't solve the issue then my suggestion is to send it in to Sony Repair.

What it sounds like to me is that even though the memory battery is good the power from it is not getting to the camera and allowing it to retain the settings. Something you could look at is to make sure the battery contacts look OK and the battery is contacting them properly. If that checks out then my guess is that there's a fault between the battery receptacle and the camera.

Hope this helps.

- Don

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Aug 30, 2008 at 4:15:18 pm

I agree. Almost sounds like it may be possible that the battery is in upside down?

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Ryan Brown
on Aug 30, 2008 at 6:44:08 pm

Thanks for the response!

Well I was in vegas for my first shoot out of town. I sent a message to my dealer and they gave me contacts at Sony. I described the issue to them and they said nope doesn't happen to the one they had to troubleshoot.

I mentioned the possibly issue that the battery was bad and he was like no that should not be an issue.

I unfortunately had got another call I had to take so I wasn't able to push the sony tech. to help me more.

I got some new batteries at Radio Shack and replaced the ones that came with the camera. Nothing changed!

So I guess it sounds like I've got a problem with my camera. I'll just have to let my dealer know and sony to see if they'll stand behind this issue and hopefully get it fixed.

Thanks again. If anyone else is having this problem do let us know...maybe I'm just the unlucky one...

Also how does one check to see what firmware the camera has. I thought maybe it needs an upgrade.

Ryan Brown
DowntownBrownEnt.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 30, 2008 at 7:04:13 pm

[Ryan Brown] "Also how does one check to see what firmware the camera has."

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/860084

- Don

Return to posts index

ryan brown
on Aug 30, 2008 at 10:00:28 pm

Thanks for the instruction on how to check my firmware. My is...

Version: V1.02_0078

Ryan Brown
DowntownBrownEnt.

Return to posts index

Ryan Brown
on Sep 2, 2008 at 6:25:20 pm

Just wanted to give all an update. After spending much time resetting the camera and going through all the menus for about an hour last night the camera finally booted up and didn't ask for D/T after setting it at boot and turning OFF then On.

Finally! Very exciting I won't have to send it in. Now I can really start getting proper use out of the camera.

Thanks for the reponses!

Ryan Brown
DowntownBrownEnt.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 2, 2008 at 9:42:15 pm

I'm not trying to be Johnny Raincloud here but neither of the two EX1 cameras I've used ever had a problem with holding the date or last picture profile settings in memory, so don't be surprised if your camera doesn't do it again at some point. But I hope I'm wrong and I'm glad you got it working.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Bailey
on Oct 19, 2008 at 9:07:55 am

Well, I'm having exactly the same problem now with my Canon A460. You say it just started working again for no particular explanation? This is not very re-assuring. Did you do anything special that might have fixed it?

Return to posts index

Ryan Brown
on Oct 19, 2008 at 7:01:00 pm

Craig Bailey-

I can't recall what was the fix for sure...I played around with all the settings over and over again. It just seemed like being persistent on the issue the camera settings finally stuck...check battery backup and make sure it works(I don't think this was what fixed my issue but it's good to have an extra on hard just in case). I'd try a simple setting change and see if it sticks. If nothing stays it would seem like a battery issue. If only certain settings don't stick maybe there is something wrong...I called Sony and they tried to help...but I just ended up messing around with the camera and magically the settings stuck. I'm just hoping they stay. I have an extra battery in my kit as a back up just in case.

Good luck with it. Might try Canon and see if Tech Support has any suggestions. All else fails it might give you a chance to check out all the settings in the camera which was the biggest benefit of this issue for me. I went through everything when I got frustrated and kinda learned a bit-then it worked so it turned out ok. So far it hasn't had issues since btw.

Ryan Brown
DowntownBrownEnt.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]