FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 firmware 1.11 features

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
EX1 firmware 1.11 features
on Aug 29, 2008 at 3:56:37 pm

Sony Canada PDF on EX1 firmware upgrade features

It always seems to be Sony Canada that goes public with stuff first.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX1 firmware 1.11 features
on Aug 29, 2008 at 7:19:30 pm

[Craig Seeman] "It always seems to be Sony Canada that goes public with stuff first."

You're welcome :)

- Don

Return to posts index

Arnljot Bringedal
Wow - extremely dissapointed
on Aug 30, 2008 at 8:33:57 am

I just sent my camera in..

Had i known that 24P could not be sent over the HDSDI "LIve" - I would not have bothered!

That functionality was the "killer app" for me, now its gone.

*** Norwegian videojournalist & Editor***

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Wow - extremely dissapointed
on Aug 30, 2008 at 1:08:25 pm

Hmm maybe I'm not understanding the importance. Generally people using HDSDI are using it for live output which does 24PsF. For recorded output most would input from the SxS card which also does 24p. The only thing it does not seem to do is send SxS card out of HDSDI at 24p. I don't see that as critical important since, in effect, you'd have the option of 24p live or 24p recorded to card and transfered by card (and faster than real time transfer that way).

If you're coming from SxS going out HDSDI you're would not really be gaining anything since, once on card, you're already in 4:2:0 color space with XDCAM compression. At that point going out of HDSDI would just be an uprez . . . which you can do with the computer or other hardware device if you really need to go that route. Please explain what you intended as just don't it SxS recording to 24p HDSDI as that important a feature.

Return to posts index

arnljot bringedal
Retraction
on Aug 31, 2008 at 4:04:48 pm

I misunderstood.
The ability to record 4..2.2 to external source - ( via a BMD or KONA ) - was what I was looking for.

*** Norwegian videojournalist & Editor***

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Retraction
on Aug 31, 2008 at 5:29:10 pm

It sends 4:2:2 10 bit uncompressed out of HDSDI and there's a portable flash based recording device coming out from Convergent Design I believe that will allow that to be recorded to flash cards.

Return to posts index

Annaël Beauchemin
Re: Wow - extremely dissapointed
on Sep 3, 2008 at 5:45:00 pm

What disapoint me the most is the unability to output via 24p HDSDI once it's recorded on the card. That was the feature I expected of this firmware.

What's great is that the feature will be on the next firmware due in November. But how much more firmware updates are we going to go through before getting a fully working camera?

We live in a strange world....

Return to posts index

mark palmos
not available for download?
on Sep 24, 2008 at 4:17:01 pm

Hi guys,
I wanted to update my firmware and see it is not available in the UK as a download from Sony... one is supposed to send the camera in? Hell, what a bizarrely cautious procedure. Anyone know where it can be downloaded to DIY?
Tx
Mark

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: not available for download?
on Sep 24, 2008 at 4:59:15 pm

Hi Mark,

If you find out where you can download the update and install it yourself we would all like to know. As far as I've been able to determine Sony wants to do it for you. When you ship your camera to them they'll install the update and check your camera over at the same time. For $100.00 USD.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: not available for download?
on Sep 24, 2008 at 5:07:29 pm

The pain of having Sony do it is being without the camera for days (weeks?), the cost of shipping and insurance (which far exceeds the $100 cost of the upgrade).

As seen elsewhere, people are having some luck using SDHC cards with adaptors being used to record SP and HQ and I'm reading some limited success with S&Q. I've also heard that some feel that the firmware could be hacked to extend that.

It may well be that Sony doesn't want the end user to get to the firmware because hackers may be able to modify the code. I can understand that but then we should be able to walk in to the service dept. of our local authorized Sony dealer for the upgrade. but maybe Sony doesn't trust those folks either.

Apparently the Sony firmware was up at a Sony Korea site for a short while and was pulled. In short, Sony doesn't want it available to the public.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]