FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-1 Overcrank...Dropping it in the TImeline

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kirk Johnson
EX-1 Overcrank...Dropping it in the TImeline
on Aug 28, 2008 at 3:12:48 pm

Hey all,

I've seen that this is a pretty talked about topic on here but I couldn't find any solutions to the problem I'm having.

I recently shot some footage with the EX-1 in the 1080p24 setting and then shot some overcranked footage at 720p60. I'm now editing the footage in the 1080p24 timeline and assumed that dropping in the overcranked clips would automatically give them the slow motion effect that I was looking for but this is not the case. It looks as though it's running at normal speed and has some sort of strobe effect, like it's only playing 24 of the 60 frames per second. When shooting, we played back the overcranked footage on the monitor and it was a beautiful slow-mo shot that I now can't seem to recreate.

Is there a solution for this?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Kirk

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX-1 Overcrank...Dropping it in the TImeline
on Aug 28, 2008 at 5:40:46 pm

As I understand it, if you want to overcrank for slow-mo you need to shoot in 720p 30 fps mode, enable S&Q and increase the frame rate to 60 fps. Shooting in 720p 60 is for shooting fast action such as sports, etc. I made this same mistake too at the beginning, thinking that 720p 60 was the correct mode for using the S&Q mode. The result looked awful in a 29.97 timeline.

- Don

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Aug 29, 2008 at 12:01:14 am

Kirk,

Here's the deal; your footage is good. So you don't have to go out and re-shoot. Here's what you must do with your 60fps clips. You must first take them and convert them to CBR (Constant Bit Rate) clips, as they are right now VBR clips. This isn't a big deal, just open each one in Quicktime and export as... and you'll have choices, and make sure you select CBR - or you can use Compressor to make them either ProRes422 CBR clips or XDCAM CBR.

"PART 2" Once you have each overcracked clip as a CBR clip you can then open Cinema Tools, and CONFORM each clip to 24p and you'll be set. Drop those babies into your timeline, and they'll be stunning slow motion - smooth!

-Stephen May

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 30, 2008 at 1:05:58 pm

Kirk say that his over-cranked footage is 720p60. That means 720p24?60?
I don't understand where the problem comes from.
I'm editing 1080i50 together with 720p25/50-60 and no problem at all.
Nattress have a filter in the "Big box of tricks" that can help you. Is call "G fields and frames".
basically it maps each footage frame to a sequence frame, whatever the time base of the footage and the sequence.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Aug 30, 2008 at 3:32:30 pm

Cinema Tools does a great job conforming overcranked video to another frame rate, the other way around, conforming transfered film in 24 fps to video frame rates, (reverse Telecine) - Its simply a solution that works to the issue posted.

Are you saying that you're mixing NTSC with PAL format? 1080i50 with 1080i 50/60? Or are you saying that you're mixing 1080i 50 with 1080i 50 shot at 60fps? If its the latter, can you talk more about the software?

Thanks -s

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Peter Furia
on Jan 7, 2009 at 1:54:59 am

hey guys,

here is the workflow that worked for me, which is basically what Stephen recommended + the A.I.C.:

1. Convert to CBR using Quicktime Pro. Open each clip in Quicktime, do an Export to Quicktime Movie with the Codec as Apple Intermediate Codec (720p60 preset), at Current Frame Size (1280x720).

2. Open clips in Cinema Tools and Conform to 23.98fps.

3. Open 1080p24 timeline in FCP and drop the conformed clips into the timeline. (Click "No" for "do you want to auto change settings"). Then render and export one by one. The resulting exported clips will be conformed to 23.98fps, will have smooth slow motion, and will be 1080 so they'll edit easily in a native 1080p24 timeline.

hope that works for ya.

Return to posts index

Joey Daoud
on Sep 4, 2009 at 5:08:37 pm

Just posted some EX1 slow motion test footage with various settings and comparisons.

http://www.vimeo.com/6432682

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]