FORUMS: list search recent posts

Logging subclips with XDCAM EX transfer software and FCP 6.03

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Rubino
Logging subclips with XDCAM EX transfer software and FCP 6.03
on Aug 28, 2008 at 12:24:03 pm

I've just started using the EX-1 with FCP 6.03. I have no trouble seeing the files on the SxS cards with the transfer software, but I am not able to log sub clips as I expect. When I create the first sub clip I can name it with a custom name and even enter other text in the comments area. (This is in the logging pane of the transfer software). Now when I create a second sub clip from the same file, all I can do is take the same exact name and comments. If I change the info for the second sub clip, it changes what I logged on the first sub clip. This goes for either the name or comments field. Has anyone else seen this?

I'm using Leopard 10.5.4 and XDCAM Transfer app 2.7.1
Quicktime 7.5

Neil Rubino
shooter/editor/producer
MCPS Instructional TV

Return to posts index

Stephen May
Re: Logging subclips with XDCAM EX transfer software and FCP 6.03
on Aug 29, 2008 at 12:49:32 am

Neil,

A subclip is created by marking an in (I) and an out (O) - or either one, from a full clip. The subclip keeps the full clips' name, and for each additional subclip created from the same full clip (by clicking the + button) the name is followed by incremental number.

Adding a sub clip automatically deselects the full clip from importing.

If anyone out there is aware of a way to name a subclip other than it's full clips' name, please reply to this thread. It would make a nice feature in the upcoming updates of the XDCAM Transfer software.

-s

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Neil Rubino
on Aug 29, 2008 at 11:42:57 pm

I understand the concept of a subclip and how it is made. And I see that the subclips keep the file name but add an incremental number. But the software allows you to add a different file name and also separate comments in the logging section. However, if you want to import say three subclips from one long clip, you cannot give the subclips different names such as WS Exterior, WS Interior, CU flowers etc.

It seems like they intended the software to allow this, since they allow you to add names and comments. But it does not work for me. Right now I am still doing this in the FCP Browser after import.

I think this would be a nice feature in the next transfer software update too.

Neil Rubino

shooter/editor/producer

MCPS Instructional TV

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Sep 2, 2008 at 3:34:55 pm

I created two subclips, named them differently in and imported to FCP. The subclips got their differemt names as expected.

So, how did you do to have it not working?

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
iMac Intel
MacBook Pro 15"

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Sep 3, 2008 at 2:34:41 pm

Sverker - what OSX version are you on, which XDCAM Transfer Software version? What FCP version?

Did you import via FCP: IMPORT > XDCAM, or did you do it all in XDCAM Transfer and then import the needed clips into the browser?

-thanks

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Sep 3, 2008 at 5:49:50 pm

Hi, Stephen,

I use:

Mac OS 10.4.11
XDCAM Transfer 2.1.0
FCP 6.0.4

I imported via FCP: IMPORT >Sony XDCAM ...

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
iMac Intel
MacBook Pro 15"

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Sep 4, 2008 at 2:15:24 pm

Respectfully, I would suggest that Sverker may be misunderstanding what is being striven for here ie the creation of multiple discretely named subclips from a single clip's essence.

Currently, naming of subclips is NOT possible with XDCAM Transfer (PDZK-P1) up to and including version 2.7.0
To be more precise, when creating multiple subclips from a single clip instance it is NOT possible to name the subclips ... it's not even possible to name the first one. What you can name is the clip itself. When you create one or more subclips from that clip's essence then each and every subclip will retain the original clip's name. User preference settings allow each subclip to be appended by a sequential number and/or the in and out timecode and/or other predetermined data.

Naming subclips has been a feature request since the beta versions prior to the 1.0 release

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Sep 4, 2008 at 3:03:01 pm

Yes, Andy. I imported the subclips in two session, changing the clip names in between.

So, the logging of clips is still to be improved.

My bad ...

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
iMac Intel
MacBook Pro 15"

Return to posts index

eugen cela
on Oct 28, 2010 at 10:58:54 am

Stephen
I saw you are talking about subclips here.

I have a question:

is possible to save the sublcip on xdcam disc like the metadate, so later I can see the in/out in an otther computer?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]