FORUMS: list search recent posts

About P vs PSF Frames, 3rd party SxS cards, EX1 Firmware - from Juan Martinez of Sony

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
About P vs PSF Frames, 3rd party SxS cards, EX1 Firmware - from Juan Martinez of Sony
on Aug 27, 2008 at 5:26:29 am

This is direct quote from email I saw elsewhere.

Subject: RE: Does the PMW EX1 shoot 1080P or 1080PsF?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 00:03:00 +0100

Hello, this is Juan Martinez, I work for Sony.

Regarding the EX1 update firmware: Look for an official announcement in the next two or three weeks. In a nutshell, the new firmware enables the use of 32GB cards and PHU60K HDD recorder. Other enhancements are:
23.98PsF "progressive segmented frame", EE output via HDSDI, several additional shutter speeds, REC indication on the LCD/ EVF even if data display is set to OFF, Chinese language menus, enrichment of the "clip menu" and other minor changes. All of these are market driven. EX3 and all EX1 shipped by Sony on the send half of August have the latest firmware. Early EX1 require a firmware update to acquire the functionality described above.

I would like to elaborate on some points. EX cameras record true native progressive at 23.98, 25, 30, 50, & 60p. When the camera is in the progressive mode the imagers always run at 1920 x 1080p. So, when shooting at 720p at 50 or 60 fps the EX's imager and DSP front-end run at full raster 1920 x 1080 50p or 60p. The 1280x720 signal is derived from the 1920x1080p signal by an advanced filtering algorithm similar to what is in our $100K+ cameras. Oversampling has two major benefits over using a camera with native 1280x720 imagers:
1- Less aliasing (strong aliasing sets in at over 600TVLPH on 2/3-inch native 1280x720 imagers)
2- Better MTF.

EX progressive signal recordings are always stored to the SxS cards in its native progressive frame rate and resolution. Therefore, the data ingested by the NLE will also be native progressive

We added PsF to the EX3 and EX1 HDSDI EE output due to user requests.
This feature enables capturing the EX's clean, live camera10-bit 4:2:2 progressive signal directly by NLE. The NLE's capture utility recognizes the PsF payload as a true signal and stores it as such. PsF frees the user from having to apply reverse telecine such as Adobe After-Effects or Cinema Tools in post to remove pull down.

Please note that the PHU60K has an USB 2.0 interface, therefore, over or
under cranking is not possible. SxS cards have a PCI Express 2.5GB
interface type and transfer at 800Mbps. We looked into certifying non SxS cards for EX but the results were very poor; ranging from not meeting their own specs to taking a long while to do so....

Juan Martinez
Senior Manager Technology
Sony Electronics Inc.

Return to posts index

Peter Hitchcock
Re: About P vs PSF Frames, 3rd party SxS cards, EX1 Firmware - from Juan Martinez of Sony
on Aug 28, 2008 at 3:27:08 am

Thanks for the info. Its good to see Sony here.
Now about the flicker problem?
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/859759

Peter

Return to posts index

Matt Sturns
Re: About P vs PSF Frames, 3rd party SxS cards, EX1 Firmware - from Juan Martinez of Sony
on Aug 28, 2008 at 4:59:45 pm

Dear Juan,

I was told by a Sony Rep that if I purchased an EX3 after the 2nd week in August it would be upgraded to firmware 1.1. I bought an EX2 from B&H on August 23 and I got firmware 1.02. I purchased 2 cameras w/ the PHU-60 hard drive and neither one works. Does the firmware need to be 1.1 for the hard drives to work? Also I was told by Sony that the EX3's would work out of the box with the PHU-60. My EX3 does not work out of the box with the PHU-60 and does not have the firmware upgrade I was told it would. What is going on? Does anyone at Sony have any truth in what they tell their customers? We cannot work on heresay, we have a business to run!!!!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 28, 2008 at 5:35:29 pm

[Matt Sturns] "I bought an EX2 from B&H on August 23 and I got firmware 1.02."
There is no EX2. EX1 or EX3.
[Matt Sturns] "My EX3 does not work out of the box with the PHU-60 and does not have the firmware upgrade I was told it would."
Are you saying you bought and EX3 with firmware 1.02? You're post is a bit confusing.

I think those who are having problems with the PHU-60 and the EX3 should check and pst their firmware version of the EX3 in that thread.

Return to posts index

Matt Sturns
on Aug 28, 2008 at 6:46:07 pm

sorry typo. I purchased 2 EX3's and was told they would have the latest firmware 1.1 installed. They did not, they had firmware 1.02. Also I was told the PHU-60 would work out of the box with the EX3, apparently this is also not true as they do not, it appears your firmware needs to be 1.1 for the drives to work. Where does the madness end? Please Sony get your act together!!!

Return to posts index

Gary Brown
on Sep 8, 2008 at 7:25:36 pm

Does anyone have any experience with express cards in lieu of the SxS cards, will they work at all? If so what are the prblems Sony noted? The cost differential is incredible.

GB-)

"Better, Faster, Cheaper ... Pick Two!"

Gary R. Brown, SCVE
Video Systems Engineer
Portsmouth Public Schools
Portsmouth, Virginia
23704-2135

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 8, 2008 at 8:14:14 pm

I've heard that Lexar 8GB cards work in SP mode only (25mbps). People are still experimenting and are reporting all sorts of issues in both SP and HQ mode. HQ doesn't work at all and SP ranges from no problem with 25mbps to lots of restore media requests to complete freezing after a couple of minutes.

Return to posts index

gary coler
on Sep 30, 2008 at 12:59:30 am

i have an ex1 how and where do i get the firmware update
thanks gary

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 30, 2008 at 1:10:22 am

[gary coler] "i have an ex1 how and where do i get the firmware update"

You have to send it in to the nearest Sony repair facility. They'll update the firmware, give your camera a general checkup and charge you only $100.00 USD. I know, I know. Sony doesn't want the firmware update available to the general public for you to do it yourself. They want to do it.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]