FORUMS: list search recent posts

What types of hard drives / monitoring are you using?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Fleckenstein
What types of hard drives / monitoring are you using?
on Aug 25, 2008 at 9:03:07 pm

Well, it looks like we're ready to pull the trigger on XDCAM EX at our shop. I want to find some hard drives that are up to the task, as well as a monitoring solution. What type of setup are you guys using? I figure I'll need to look into some sort of e-sata array and a box/card to drive a monitor from my FCP timeline. I just got a new 8-core Mac to work with the footage we'll be bringing home, but it's time to outfit the rest of the system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Clint
Bismarck, ND

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: What types of hard drives / monitoring are you using?
on Aug 26, 2008 at 5:02:39 am

Hi Clint,

Keep in mind that EX footage is 35Mbits per second and MiniDV is 25 Mbits per second, so you can count on about 4 to 4 and a half minutes per gigabye of storage as opposed to MiniDV which needs a gigabyte of space for every 5 min. of footage. Probably a reliable 5 bay SATA RAID would be fine.

For monitoring take a close look at the Matrox MXO and a 23" Apple Cinema HD display. In addition, the MXO is also a cost effective alternative for fairly accurate colour grading. More info on this can be found here:

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo/

- Don

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Aug 26, 2008 at 8:31:58 am

I have a Firmtek-based hard drive system. This card is teamed up with a removeable Firmtek housing which gives me a hot-swappable and expandable setup.

SeriTek/2SE2-E External PCI Express (PCIe) 2-Port Adapter with eSATA Connectors SATA-2SE2-E. $99.95

The bundle package is here:

http://firmtek.stores.yahoo.net/2ense2e.html

For monitoring I'm using a DeckLink HD Extreme card.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Sep 8, 2008 at 9:30:41 pm

I'm a little confused on the Decklink/MXO adapters. Do I have to give up my second DVI output as a computer monitor when using these devices? I like to park my palettes for Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. in my second monitor, as well as XP Pro in a window using Parallels. Being limited to one monitor for my computer desktop is NOT an attractive option. I'm unable to find anything about this on either manufacturer's website.

Thanks,
Clint

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]