FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archive XDcam on BlueRay workflow

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
olof ekbergh
Archive XDcam on BlueRay workflow
on Aug 21, 2008 at 1:46:38 pm

I am planning to back up XDcam files from my new EX3 on BD. I use a Mac Pro M100 12.7.1 w/AJA HDe and FCP studio2 all the latest updates. I also use a Macbook pro in the field w/ M100 producer 12.7.1 & FCP studio2 and the XDcam transfers work really well.

I plan to use BD's to transfer from SxS and Sony's PHU-60K on-camera hard drive, at the end of the day in the field, and to archive footage in my suite.

I do a lot of shooting and travel on airplanes, so I plan to keep 1 copy on my Laptop HD (and external FW discs) with me, and to FEDEX BluDiscs back to the studio every few days.

Doe anybody else use this workflow?

Has anybody got recomendations for best BD media, there are big differences in price $8.00 to $30.00 for single layer discs.

Also do dual layer discs work well?

I just ordered the Lacie d2 FW external writer, and 10 TDK 2x discs.

Olof Ekbergh

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Daniel De Avila
Re: Archive XDcam on BlueRay workflow
on Aug 22, 2008 at 5:48:22 pm

Hello

I can’t say that I have used this workflow for backup and archiving. But I though I would suggest something else for your consideration.

I use Iomega REV disks for archiving media.
Advantages:
Faster write times than burning.
Larger capacity, up to 120GB. Capable of backing up your PHU-60K hard drive in one go.
Very reliable and durable.
Cons:
Media and drives are a bit pricey
Looks like you will need to buy two drives – one for the road and one for the studio. Maybe…

However, after a long day of travel and shooting, the last thing I would want to do is stay up late each nigh burning backup disks. It all sounds too painfully slow to me.

Also this little utility might be of interest to you, even if you stick with burning to blue ray.

http://www.imagineproducts.com/ShotPut_EXpress.html

Hope it helps.
Daniel

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Archive XDcam on BlueRay workflow
on Aug 23, 2008 at 2:28:58 am

Hi Olof,
I'm archiving in 50GB BR disks.
Really easy and fast. The new LaCie2d, writes and reads some 18 MB per second (150 Mbps), so you can record almost 3 hour footage in 45 minutes.
is fast enough to be used as an external media HD for cutting with FC.
Soon, hopefully, will be BR drives everywhere, so will be easy to travel just with your media BR discs.
At the moment the discs are very expensive so lets buy many BR drivers and prices will go down.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]