FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting stills in FCP6 16:9

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Huckle
Exporting stills in FCP6 16:9
on Aug 20, 2008 at 12:14:39 pm

I am struggling to produce stills in 16:9 from my time line. They come out 4:3. This is the process I use:
double click on timeline (after I've transcoded from HD to SD using ProRes setting) > make freeze frame > deinterlace (as I filmed 1080i) > export from browser window (settings JPEG) > save to desktop > open up from desktop and it has shrunk to 4:3 format. I can't use the images for disc labels or DVD.

Where am I going wrong? What settings do I need to change?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Exporting stills in FCP6 16:9
on Aug 20, 2008 at 2:52:52 pm

You're trying to make a freeze frame from a widescreen anamorphic SD codec which is inherently a 4:3 frame. It will come out squeezed. If you want to have a 1920x1080 square pixel image load your original HD clip into the viewer and choose: Export Using Quicktime Conversion. Choose Still Image from the list and export that.

You can also do the same thing in Quicktime Player.

- Don

Return to posts index

Mark Huckle
on Aug 20, 2008 at 4:22:56 pm

Thanks Don for your advice. I put it into practice and it worked well on one project (filmed in progressive - 720p I think) but didn't with footage filmed in 1080i. It still threw out 4:3 squeezed shots. Now I am confused. Can you shine any further light on this please Don?

Return to posts index

Mark Huckle
on Aug 20, 2008 at 4:23:55 pm

Thanks Don for your advice. I put it into practice and it worked well on one project (filmed in progressive - 720p I think) but didn't with footage filmed in 1080i. It still threw out 4:3 squeezed shots. Now I am confused. Can you shine any further light on this please Don?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 20, 2008 at 5:24:50 pm

Hi Mark,

If your 1080i footage was shot with a non-square PAR (pixel aspect ratio) codec like HDV 1440x1080 then it is a squeezed format as well. I was assuming you shot it with the EX HQ setting, which has a square PAR. I'm not sure if FCP will constrain the proportions of that exported still even or even if there's a "Preserve Aspect Ratio" check box available when you export using Quicktime Conversion. I know there is for a video export (not at my FCP suite at the moment).

If you have Photoshop I know for sure you can bring the squeezed HD still into that and change the pixel size to 1920x1080 to un-squeeze your picture. Just make sure that "Constrain Proportions" in Photoshop is not checked.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]