FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDW-U1 Workflow with Final Cut

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Allison
PDW-U1 Workflow with Final Cut
on Aug 18, 2008 at 9:52:15 pm

Here's what we want to do.....now someone please tell me if we can do it.

Our media guys have PC computers on their work desk, but all of our media work is done on a Mac with Final Cut Pro Suite. What we want to do is shoot on XDCAM disks, and log the disks on a PC computer using the PDZ-1 software. By logging, I mean select good takes, and enter in-points and out-points on these takes.....maybe even make some comments. Pretty simple stuff.

Now the PDW-U1 has the ability to write back to the disk all of this logging information. Once we finish logging and writing the info back to the XDCAM disk, we want to take the disk, plug it into a F75 deck, and using XDCAM Transfer software and Final Cut Pro, ingest only the selected clips with corresponding in-points and out-points. But the F75 deck, via the XDCAM Transfer software, does not see any of the logging work we have done on the PC and the PDZ-1 software.

Will this workflow work?

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
Re: PDW-U1 Workflow with Final Cut
on Aug 21, 2008 at 1:06:17 pm

We are just getting started using XDCam and FCP, so I am not an expert. However, we are unable to get the PDW-U1 to write anything to the disk right now. We can't even rename the disk. It's my understanding that Sony is expected to update the PDW-U1 in October so that you'll be able to write anything to the disk. We haven't tried the rest of your workflow, so I'll have to let someone else comment on that.

Return to posts index

Tim Allison
on Aug 21, 2008 at 3:06:05 pm

You can download software and firmware updates for the PDW-U1 that will allow you to write back to the drive. We've only done it with one of our units, but that one unit is writing back to the disk.

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Aug 23, 2008 at 12:07:22 am

Thanks for the tip! I didn't realize that they had released v.2. I downloaded it, but I was using the drive so I couldn't install it. I'll install it Monday. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jacob Duus
on Aug 26, 2008 at 12:39:52 pm

I´ve downloaded the mac-version of the software/firmware, but it contained the old version 1.0. Does anyone have the new software?

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Aug 26, 2008 at 1:29:58 pm

PC only for the moment Jacob (write back for Mac is not yet released)

Return to posts index

Ken Davis
on Sep 18, 2008 at 2:52:11 pm

Tim, i have updated my pdw-u1 and it all looks like it should write, but when i go to tranfer a file it says i need permission. I am logged in as administrator. Is there something i am missing? Thanks for any help.

ken

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]