FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM files import error

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jana Novosad
XDCAM files import error
on Aug 17, 2008 at 10:20:25 pm

Hello,
hope someone at CreativeCow will be able to help.

I'm trying to import xdcam files into FCP 6.0.2 and i can see the number of files, their length in the transfer tool but no image is available. I can play the files in the viewing window but with the 'no media' sign. I'm getting an error message from all files: Exception opening XDCAM EX file (Condition Failure-moov existance).

These files come from an external hard drive and i already managed to open them on a higher version of FCP (6.0.3 or 4) and successfully worked on the project. I've switched Macs since then and i'm now having troubles seeing the media. Nobody has touched the drive with files since the last import. Both of these Macs have the latest QT, the Transfer software on both came from the sony site, i'm not aware of any major differences between these two Macs, they were both purchased recently. The only difference i can see at the moment is the version of FCP but they are both over 6.

Might it be that because i've imported them already once into a higher version of FCP, i've somehow assigned an extra information to them?? and now i can't import into another FCP? Please help, i can't get my head around it.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: XDCAM files import error
on Aug 17, 2008 at 10:52:38 pm

Is there a reason you don't simply update to FCP 6.0.4?
You should have ClipBrowser2, XDCAM Transfer 2.7.

Is your OS 10.4.11 or 10.5.4?
Is QT 7.5?

Return to posts index

Jana Novosad
on Aug 17, 2008 at 11:10:15 pm

Hi Craig,
thanks for your reply.

I currently don't have an internet connection on my Mac (it's being organised).

The XDCAM transfer is 2.7, QT is 7.4.1 and OS X is 10.5.2 on this Mac.

The one i've worked on before is at work and would love to start working from home when i can.

Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 18, 2008 at 12:12:28 am

I have a strong hunch it's the combination of QT, OS, FCP. You may not be able to fix it until you get an internet connection.

In the meantime even though you're not seeing the media in the XDCAM Transfer Tool, try rewrapping one clip to mov and then importing it into FCP and see if you see the video.

Return to posts index

Jana Novosad
on Aug 18, 2008 at 12:21:01 am

Thank you for your help. I'll try the mov rewrap but you are probably right about the upgrade

Return to posts index

Jana Novosad
on Aug 19, 2008 at 9:34:59 am

Hello,

i'm hoping you might be able to help further. You've kindly adviced me to upgrade my software which few days ago sounded like a reasonable solution to the error message i was getting. The error message is gone but i run into more problems, which is probably good because it might explain the problem further.

I've upgraded my FCP, which is now 6.0.4, QT is now 7.5, XDCAM transfer is 2.7 and my OS X is 10.5.4. When i open the XDCAM transfer tool a window pops up with 'XDCAM Transfer needs the following quick time and system software components'. It goes onto naming them: the ones that are ticked green are:
MPEG IMX Codecs
XDCAM HD (25Mb/s CBS) Codecs
XDCAM HD (VBR) Codecs
DDW-V1 VDF Driver and
FAM Driver

The ones that have a red sign next to them are:
XDCAM EX Codecs and
XDCAM HD 422 Codecs.

Are these codecs part of FCP or the transfer SxS Driver? There must be something i must have missed somewhere, i'm just not sure where.

Jana

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 19, 2008 at 2:22:50 pm

It sounds like a bad install/bad FCP update. The EX codecs are installed when one updates to FCP 6.0.2 so they should be there in 6.0.4.

I'd suggest a reinstall and use software update to get to FCP 6.0.2. You may have to uninstall FCP and/or the production suite by hand including the pkg receipts (what a pain!). You could experiment with just removing the pkg receipts though.

I know it can very frustrating when software updates doesn't work the way it should. Unfortunately it happens. For that reason I NEVER us software update for OS updates (I use the combo update from Apple's site).

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 19, 2008 at 5:46:50 pm

If you end up having to uninstall Final Cut Studio there is a free app available to do the job. Personally, I've never needed to use it but here's a link:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/fcs_remover.htm

- Don

Return to posts index

Dee Murphy
on Feb 27, 2009 at 7:58:38 pm

I am having the same problem that everything is set up except there is the no media sign and it says that i am missing xdcam ex codec and xdcam hd 422 codec. How do you get around this?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 27, 2009 at 8:11:13 pm

Do you have current versions?
FCP 6.0.5?
Quicktime 7.6?

You may have a bad install if you do.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 27, 2009 at 8:20:20 pm

Hi Dee,

Welcome to Creative COW.

It would help immensely if you were to provide your system details, including what programs you're using to import and edit EX footage. Without this critical information it's very difficult to help and I hate having to guess what's wrong. It's a real time waster.

In the meantime, do some basic research. By deciding to import and edit EX footage you should also take the time to find out what the minimum hardware and software requirements are for your particular platform.

Post back with some info so we can help you.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]