FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX directly to quicktime

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders Meisner
XDCAM EX directly to quicktime
on Aug 17, 2008 at 1:22:01 pm

Hi there

I have a sony xdcam ex-1 (which is just lovely, too bad it isn't technically mine though). I want to use it in the dragon stop motion software, but there are a couple of question I need answered first.

First: can I use the xdcam in dragonstopmotion
and if you can't answer that one:

can i use the xdcam directly in quicktime in any way? so if I choose new movie recording, can I get the picture from the xdcam in my quicktime player?

so, in a way, I guess I'm asking if I can use the camera as a webcamera in a way?

anders meisner
elstudion/2am/klirr proximity

Mac Pro 2X2.8
6GB RAM
FCP AE

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: XDCAM EX directly to quicktime
on Aug 17, 2008 at 4:06:26 pm

The short answer MIGHT be Yes but the longer answer is I can't tell because you haven't given enough info about your setup.

You must have FCP 6.0.2 and up to have the XDCAM EX codec. I'd also suggest you download ClipBrowser 2 and XDCAM Transfer software 2.7.

If you're attempting to use as a "web cam" it may depend on whether your computer can handle HD-SDI in or maybe the SDI in if you send SD out of the SDI.
You might also be able to use firewire if you shoot in HDV compatible mode.
You might be able to use the component out of the camera.

All that depends on what your input device/card is and your computer's capabilities.

Return to posts index

Anders Meisner
on Aug 17, 2008 at 5:32:14 pm

Hi!
Sorry for withholding information.

I have FCP 6.0.4
Downloaded and installed SxS Drivers
Downloaded and installed XDCAM Transfer v 2.7.1
Downloaded and installed Clip Browser v 2.0

The thing is, right now, I don't need to get a live preview, now I just want to import my footage. I have a firewire-cable connected to the camera but nothing happens, I don't get the camera to show up in the finder and nothing happens when I go to XDCAM Transfer or the clip browser.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 17, 2008 at 5:56:19 pm

[Anders Meisner] " I have a firewire-cable connected to the camera but nothing happens"

The EX FW connection is for HDV only, for when you have another HDV compatible device such as a camera or deck hooked up to the EX. You cannot import footage to your computer using FW. Your computer will not see it.

- Don

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 18, 2008 at 12:30:35 pm

Hi Ander,
Just open the XDCAM Transfer software with any SS card inserted in the Xpress slot.

Hi Don,
I haven't used yet the FW at all.

[Don Greening] "when you have another HDV compatible device such as a camera or deck hooked up to the EX. You cannot import footage to your computer using FW."
What means that? That you can only use the FW to dub from the EX-1 to a HDV device?
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 18, 2008 at 5:50:16 pm

[Rafael Amador] "What means that? That you can only use the FW to dub from the EX-1 to a HDV device?"

I'm glad you asked, because it made me re-read the owner's manual again. It states that you can only use the FW connection to transfer HDV material to an HDV compatible device such as a camera or a deck. This means that you need to be shooting in SQ (HDV) mode otherwise it won't work. HDV recording also works in reverse, because the manual states that the EX will record an HDV stream to the SxS Pro cards from a connected HDV device.

What I did forget about is that the EX can transfer an HDV stream (only) to a non-linear editor via FW. Then the manual get a little vague concerning the performance of FW transfer using an NLE:

"If the playback clip is short or the playback in point is near the end of the clip, the signal may be interrupted between the clip and the next clip. When you try to capture such a signal using the non-linear editing system a malfunction may occur, depending on the non-linear editing system in use."

The manual goes on to talk about other issues with FW and NLE's but what it boils down to is that FW is for HDV only.

- Don

Return to posts index

Don Greening
For Anders Meisner
on Aug 18, 2008 at 6:17:29 pm

I apologize for the mis-information. You can transfer files from the EX via firewire directly to your NLE, provided that the FW connection is enabled in the EX menu and that you're only transferring files shot in HDV mode. To enable the EX firewire connection go to the "OTHERS" menu and set the i.LINK I/O to "Enable".

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]