FORUMS: list search recent posts

Learning about the EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
olof ekbergh
Learning about the EX3
on Aug 16, 2008 at 3:58:41 pm

I just got my EX3 a few days ago. I actually did a bluescreen shoot with right out of the box, standard settings, It worked out OK though I under exposed a little, because I added setup to the output (composite) and it looked great. I did my knee-jerk 1/2 stop under for all Sony cams.

I did not take the time to set up the HD-SDI to check HD monitor. I had scoped the lighting earlier with my DSR500.

The client walked in and saw the new cam and said, lets use it so I get a HD for future use. So I scrambled to change cams teleprompter etc.

I only had the 8GB card so I had to keep deleting shots and dump to HD during lunch, then FEDEX arrived with 2 16GB cards so afternoon was a lot easier.

Once I figured out to set Transfer prefs not to open an app the card dumps went at about 6x real time, really smooth. I use a MacbookPro 2.4 with a LaCie FW 800 2 TB drive.

Yesterday a friend of mine was here to dupe some tape and we fooled around a little with the cam hooked up to a JVC 20" (in my edit suite) monitor with HD-SDI. Below are some of m notes sent to him in an email later.

-------------------------

I just figured it out, if shutter is off in 30P then shutter is 1/30. You can also set shutter as angle, I remember 11° was magic for sports in film (24p) I think it is about 1/800 of a second, you can go all the way up to 1/2000 of a sec. ASA on EX3 is 400 (or 320 depending on who you believe) at 0db gain. The 500 is 800 at 0db so EX3 is 1 stop or so slower.

I was experimenting and the cleanest video seems to be 720 60p.

1080 24p is also very nice if you keep pans really slow.

There are too many choices!

I was starting to fool with the profile settings matrix cc etc., there about 50 different setting categories.

WOW what a learning curve. I hope someone is going to publish settings, that match different film stock or cameras.

-----------------------

I would like to hear if anyone is willing to share some setting the work out. I will post more as I find out myself.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Learning about the EX3
on Aug 16, 2008 at 5:33:01 pm

[olof ekbergh] "I would like to hear if anyone is willing to share some setting the work out."

In the meantime while you're waiting you can do a search of this forum. There are some picture profile settings from some gracious folks already posted here. There's also this:

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/tips.htm

- Don

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Aug 17, 2008 at 9:36:32 am

This is good. Feedback from EX3 users. I'm looking forward to taking delivery of mine in the next few days. I have an XS17x Fujinon lens waiting to go on the front. Just waiting to sort out how to attach bottom plate for rails & mattebox. I have one strong contender. I can then attach the camera to the VCT-U14 plate.

I had a play with an EX3 & XS13x wide angle at my Sony dealer. Nice. I will be integrating it with the Convergent Design nanoFlash soon.

Then I have to upgrade to 12.7 from 12.5 for easy XDCAM file import, probably to ProRez 422 HQ.
If anyone is doing that now, how is the workflow? Sounds great.

David Issko

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Aug 17, 2008 at 9:38:07 am

Sorry my 12.5 to 12.7 upgrade refers to my Media 100.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Aug 17, 2008 at 11:08:38 am

I use m Macbook Pro to do the transfer to a FW800 HD from SxS card. This is faster than USB connection about 6X real time.

Then I hook FW drive to m main M100 system and transfer to my main raid.

I then open the clips in QT and decide what clips to import into M100 12.7.1.

I then drag import into a bin, I use ProRes 422 HQ. This is slower than 1:1 about 1.5:1 (5 minute clip takes 7-8 minutes) this may be a lot faster in an 8 core Mac (mine is 4 core 2.66 5GB ram).

I have only just started with this system, m approach may change.

If you are not in a rush when you use the XDcam transfer program ou could speed up the process b selecting shorter clips there.

I am off on another shoot today, so I will do more transfers this week.

So far I like the way tis works a lot.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Aug 18, 2008 at 1:19:22 am

I got the first EX3 in Dallas so I've had mine since July 29th.

Love the camera overall but one thing really bothers me; the monitor out BNC. Connect a cable to it and then wiggle the cable a little and the BNC connector moves with the cable and you hear cracking and groaning from the plastic. Clearly, the BNC is not anchored in metal. I fear it will fail soon.

Bad design on the on/off switch as well.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Derek Hall
on Aug 20, 2008 at 2:26:09 am

David can you share what rails/matte box system you're using. I have a nice Petroff 4x4 for my EX1 but there are a few minor compromises I'd like to overcome when I upgrade later this year.

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Aug 21, 2008 at 10:34:14 pm

Derek,

I don't have a mattebox just yet. However, I am favouring the Vocas MB325. My EX3 is teamed with the Fujinon XS17X5.5BRM lens. A 200 series mattebox would better suit the standard lens.

DVTEC has a VCT-U14 compatible plate to which they have 15mm rods to attach to. Check out their photos on their website. I'm looking to buy a set as well as their DVRigPro-HD.

Hope this info helps
David Issko

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Aug 20, 2008 at 2:15:39 am

My EX3 is serial number 110. Got it here in Wisconsin late in July.
First real test was last week. I had the stabilizer on for the shoot at 720/60, 125th shutter, -3db.
I shot in full sun and needed the first ND setting to open the lens up at times. 2nd ND setting was too much at times with the -3db setting when I wanted to shoot into the shadows.

Some of my settings for a High Saturation look (client wanted to see lots of color-pre-post).

Matrix: High Sat.
Level: +66
phase: 0
r-g: 0
r-b: 0
g-r: 0
g-b: -90
g-g: -44

Knee setting: on
auto knee: off
point: 100
slope: +60
knee sat: 0

Gamma: level:+25
Select: S+DI

low Key Sat: -4

I also stretched the blacks to +2.
I am tempted to stretch the blacks further from the look of my field monitor.
I found my field monitor (Marshall V-R84DP-HD) looks dark even hooded with the brightness cranked and set up with color bars. Not sure if I've set it up wrong or if it's simply super black in the blacks.

Anyway, the camera looks really nice overall and I love the SDI output. One cable out instead of component-nice.

At times I wished I had the additional wide lens, but for the most part I liked the image the lens has that the camera comes with.
I can't wait for a job to come along that pays for a Letus.

My client enjoyed the time lapse bit I did of a crew setting up a structure. 3 frames/second.

I am really enjoying this camera.

Paul Zwicker
ZwickFlicks, LLC

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Aug 20, 2008 at 2:15:41 am

My EX3 is serial number 110. Got it here in Wisconsin late in July.
First real test was last week. I had the stabilizer on for the shoot at 720/60, 125th shutter, -3db.
I shot in full sun and needed the first ND setting to open the lens up at times. 2nd ND setting was too much at times with the -3db setting when I wanted to shoot into the shadows.

Some of my settings for a High Saturation look (client wanted to see lots of color-pre-post).

Matrix: High Sat.
Level: +66
phase: 0
r-g: 0
r-b: 0
g-r: 0
g-b: -90
g-g: -44

Knee setting: on
auto knee: off
point: 100
slope: +60
knee sat: 0

Gamma: level:+25
Select: S+DI

low Key Sat: -4

I also stretched the blacks to +2.
I am tempted to stretch the blacks further from the look of my field monitor.
I found my field monitor (Marshall V-R84DP-HD) looks dark even hooded with the brightness cranked and set up with color bars. Not sure if I've set it up wrong or if it's simply super black in the blacks.

Anyway, the camera looks really nice overall and I love the SDI output. One cable out instead of component-nice.

At times I wished I had the additional wide lens, but for the most part I liked the image the lens has that the camera comes with.
I can't wait for a job to come along that pays for a Letus.

My client enjoyed the time lapse bit I did of a crew setting up a structure. 3 frames/second.

I am really enjoying this camera.

Paul Zwicker
ZwickFlicks, LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]