FORUMS: list search recent posts

Out of hard drive space - what do I delete?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Huckle
Out of hard drive space - what do I delete?
on Aug 16, 2008 at 10:24:29 am

Just finished a wedding edit in HD. Copied timeline to SD and exported to hard drive. Only have 3 GB space on my laptop. Which files do I delete which won't leave me requiring to re-edit or make a second export file? My thinking is to go for the render files from the HD edit sequence and render them another time if need be. Would this affect the SD sequence? I thought that I'd be able to get away with 143 GB for a two hour wedding sequence using Sony EX1 (2 x 8GB and 2X16GB cards). I've tried to back up all the files to an external hard drive but always get "error code 0" with one particular XDCAM sxs card file.
Any advice greatly appreciated. As I write I'm trying to burn to disc but I expect that lack of hard drive space will bring it to a grinding halt.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Out of hard drive space - what do I delete?
on Aug 16, 2008 at 3:29:27 pm

It's hard to recommend what to delete when we don't know what you have on your hard drive. If you have BPAV folders on your hard drive you can back them up to another hard drive or DL-DVD and delete those since you're using MOV files or MXF files (you haven't told us what edit system you're using).

Return to posts index

Mark Huckle
on Aug 16, 2008 at 4:54:01 pm

Thanks

I'm using FCP Studio 2. What will happen if I ditch my render files from the HD timeline? Will this affect the copy I made of it to a new SD sequence?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 16, 2008 at 5:39:53 pm

[Mark Huckle] " What will happen if I ditch my render files from the HD timeline? Will this affect the copy I made of it to a new SD sequence?"

It shouldn't. There will be separate render files for the SD sequence. Besides, even if it did affect the SD sequence, the render file information is part of the project file and to create new render files you just hit Cmd - R for "render all" and you'll be back in business.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 16, 2008 at 7:44:51 pm

Depending on where you are in the process you can also render a sequence/timeline as a self contained movie

That's why I'm finding it hard to make suggestions without knowing exactly your workflow and what is being referenced.

If you're editing and rendering is SD, you likely wouldn't need the HD renders as I think Don is pointing out.

If you're done editing and are at the stage where you just want to output or title and output you could make the SD timeline self contained move, toss everything else (don't forget to backup the source BPAV or MOV if that's your 'druther) and then you can import that self contained SD movie and add titles, music, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]