FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony XDCAM Transfer - Subclip Problem

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronnie James
Sony XDCAM Transfer - Subclip Problem
on Aug 15, 2008 at 3:20:12 am

I'm using Sony XDCAM Transfer 2.5.1 on a Mac Pro running OS 10.5.4. In an earlier version of the Transfer software (1.x.x) I was able to import subclips without importing the entire master/source clip. I haven't been able to do this on any version of 2.x.x. I was hoping this update would change that, but I'm still getting the same problem. I used an earlier 2.x.x on an iMac 24" and it had the exact same problem.

If I mark a subclip and import, it creates a 4k empty movie file. I've tried tweaking the preferences, but nothing changes. I even tried importing straight to the desktop as opposed to an external FW drive, but no difference.

Anyone else having the same problem. Or not having this problem??

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Sony XDCAM Transfer - Subclip Problem
on Aug 15, 2008 at 5:02:29 am

I'm not having this problem. I can select an in point and an out point in the Transfer Tool viewer window and the program will only import that specific portion.

I'm using XDCAM Transfer Tool v.2.5.1 with OS 10.4.11 and QT v. 7.3.1. on a Mac Pro dual core 3 Ghz. There's no difference if I use the Transfer program as a stand alone app or from within FCP 6.

- Don

Return to posts index

Ronnie James
on Aug 15, 2008 at 5:59:56 pm

Don,

I wonder what the heck is going on. You're using OS 10.4.1? I wonder if it's a Leopard issue, then. What a pain.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 15, 2008 at 6:15:47 pm

[Ronnie James] "You're using OS 10.4.1?"

I'm using OS 10.4.11, not 10.4.1.

Perhaps it is a leopard thing but I'm sure there are lots of users running the same setup as yourself without issue. You could try trashing the Transfer Tool preference file and then trying another subclip transfer.

You can find the pref. file here:

Macintosh HD>Users>"yourname">Library>Preferences>com.sony.bprl.xdcamtransfer.plist

Drag that file to the trash and restart the XDCAM Transfer app. and see if that solves it.

- Don

Return to posts index

Ronnie James
on Aug 15, 2008 at 6:19:38 pm

Oh, I forgot Tiger went up to .11 so I thought it was a typo.

I've tried the pref trashing and everything else I can think of. And it happens on two different computers: a 24" iMac and a Mac Pro dual 3 (both running Leopard).

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 15, 2008 at 6:23:40 pm

Very strange. Must be a leopard thing then or maybe a combo of Leopard and perhaps your installed version of QT. I don't have OS 10.5 on any of my machines yet, so I can't try and duplicate your issue.

But you can still transfer whole clips without a problem, right?

- Don

Return to posts index

Ronnie James
on Aug 15, 2008 at 6:44:54 pm

Don,

Yes I can still do whole clips. I even tried taking in subclips alongside the whole clips, but I just end up with the same empty movie files. Hopefully, someone with Leopard can chime in, too.

A quick question for you, though: do you have any external FW drives hooked up to your system? I've noticed some issues with clips failing on import when multiple ext drives are hooked up, but that was on an older G5. I didn't think to try unplugging the Firewire drives and I'm not at work right now, so I can't try, but thought I'd ask you.

Grasping at straws now, but sometimes the weirdest things end up being the culprit.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 15, 2008 at 8:47:12 pm

[Ronnie James] "do you have any external FW drives hooked up to your system?"

Yeah I do but I'm not using them for transferring footage via Sony's Transfer app. For that I have an internal SATA media array (3 drives) in the Mac Pro.

- Don

Return to posts index

Brian Walker
on Aug 16, 2008 at 7:10:29 pm

I have leopard 10.5.4, and XDCAM Transfer 2.7.0 and I can transfer subclips no problem!

Return to posts index

Ronnie James
on Aug 17, 2008 at 12:54:11 am

Thanks a lot, Brian!

I should try the newer version of XDCAM transfer, perhaps. I thought I had the latest, but apparently not. If you have any ideas of what else I might be missing (even obvious) please let me know.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 17, 2008 at 5:27:23 pm

Ronnie,

I just did a subclip test for you where I selected about 5 sec. of footage from a 58 minute clip right from the camera hooked up to my Mac Pro via USB. I selected my in and out points right in the Transfer Tool viewer window and then hit import. Worked just fine.

Maybe it's a preference thing that's checked or not checked but here is a rundown of how my Transfer Tool prefs are set up so you can compare.

Under General prefs:

Automatically add media - checked
Show offline media - checked
Audio channels - all checked

Under Cache prefs:

Cache size is set at 10%
Automatically fetch proxies - checked

Under Import prefs:

New folder for each source - checked
Overwrite existing files - not checked
Add source name - checked
Add clip title - checked
Add UMID - not checked
For subclips add in and out timecodes - checked
For subclips add index number - checked
Subclip handles - not checked
Only import monitored channels - not checked
Write Final Cut Pro XML file - checked
Uncheck subclips on import - not checked
Open imported files with - not checked

See what happens when you compare your prefs.

- Don

Return to posts index

Ronnie James
on Aug 17, 2008 at 5:44:34 pm

That's excellent, Don! Thanks a lot for taking the time to pass on these settings. I'm working this evening, so I'm going to go through all of these. I'm thinking I've got to be missing something simple, especially based on the fact that it's happening to me on two different machines with two different versions of the Transfer software. Strangely, v.1.1 works fine for me.

Weird.

Return to posts index

Ronnie James
on Aug 18, 2008 at 4:24:20 am

Don, I checked all those pref's and a few were different. I also updated to 2.7.1.

Now I'm getting an error with subclips: "cannot read file (insert name of mxf file)"

Everything else still works fine.

When you mentioned the camera it made me think I neglected to mention I'm using a deck (PDW-F70). My next plan is to check all the deck settings. Ugh, frustrating.

Thanks again for your help,

Ron

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 18, 2008 at 4:33:19 am

Yeah, I wouldn't have a clue about the deck settings. One way to find out if it is the deck is if you were able to copy an entire BPAV folder from an SxS Pro card to your computer and then start the Transfer Tool, navigate to the BPAV folder and see if you can import a subclip from that. If you can then it's something to do with the deck. If the deck contains separate BPAV folders previously transferred from cards try copying one of those to your hard drive and accessing that within the Transfer Tool.

- Don

Return to posts index

Ronnie James
on Aug 18, 2008 at 8:45:57 pm

That's a good idea! I'm going to try that. At least, I'll be able to eliminate yet another factor. The deck only seems to have one setting related to this, which is FAM (setting it to file transfer mode) but who knows.

Thanks, Don.

Return to posts index

Tony Gordon
on Oct 17, 2008 at 10:52:55 am

Hello Gentlemen I am in REMOTE Jungles of Cairns Australia - I have FCP v 6.0.4 on Mac Pro Intel OS is 10.4.11

I am having massive issues with XDCam Transfer ---

I have today installed ALL updates and loaded FCP Studio 2

When I launch XDCam Transfer I get this error-

ERROR INITALISING DATABASE
The application does not support this version of the offline database
The application supports Version 7 but this is a Version 8 Database...

any iseas ???

I have removed the preferences with no effect...

tony

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 17, 2008 at 1:14:09 pm

I'm running Quicktime 7.5.5, OS 10.5.5, and XD Cam Transfer 2.7.0 on my MacBook Pro 2.4 with no issues. Can you provide the software versions you are working with? You also need FCS2 updated to at least 6.0.2.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Jimmy Garland
on Mar 27, 2009 at 9:40:42 pm

I had the same database error. You need to install browser software that came with camera to make it work. good luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]